Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall macOS Big Sur after Erase Mac HD failed, Error…

I knew I shouldn’t have tried this because I thought something would go wrong. And sure enough it did. The instructions are simple enough and yet never go as planned. And to make it worse I need it for work. That’s why I did it on the weekend. This is unbelievable, Apple.

Here’s what happened. I decided to finally try erasing my 2019 iMac Fusion HD and do a clean install of Big Sur to try and fix the ongoing great slow-down after updating from Catalina to Big Sur. And it just gets worse.

Steps:

• Restart
  • CMD+R
  • Disk Utility
  • Erase Drive (APFS) - Erase Volume Group
  • Close DU
  • Reinstall macOS Big Sur
  • Select Mac HD
  • Install

After that, it showed over 2 hrs to install but the progress bar was about 75%. It then dropped to 1 hr. I wasn’t sure if it was downloading, uninstalling, installing? When I came back an hour later there was an Error window that the install didn’t work. Closing that revealed another window that was searching for the disk and also asking for “Target Disk”? See pictures. I had to quite both of those then tried restarting with CMD+R to try again. Then there was a “macOS Update Assistant” window, but the progress bar didn’t move. I thought it was maybe updating Big Sur but shouldn’t CMD+R and Reinstall macOS choose latest Big Sur version (11.6.3)? At this point it just keeps going in circles and won’t update or install. I’ve never seen this before but I’ve only Erased/Installed and migrated iMac’s a few time over 15 years.

Any idea what went wrong? I shut it down and will try again tomorrow morning.

I hope my TM backup is ok. Otherwise I’m %$#@! Looks like Genius Bar for me or new 24” iMac (waiting for new iMac Pro)

Now I’m having issue posting this; Your session has expired. Please log in again to restore your question. Same message over and over each time I try to submit this.

Finally. I had to open another browser tab and ask question again.

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 12:30 PM

Update:

I was able to use macOS Big Sur installer on external SSD and boot from it. Startup was < 30 sec. But 15+ hours later, after manually transferring user files and performing fresh installations of apps, it reverted back to the slow startup, although not quite as slow this time. Regardless, I was extremely disappointed. At this point I've given up. Now I am just waiting for the new iMac Pro. Hopefully migrating my user account to that will work.

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Sapote

Update:

I was able to use macOS Big Sur installer on external SSD and boot from it. Startup was < 30 sec. But 15+ hours later, after manually transferring user files and performing fresh installations of apps, it reverted back to the slow startup, although not quite as slow this time. Regardless, I was extremely disappointed. At this point I've given up. Now I am just waiting for the new iMac Pro. Hopefully migrating my user account to that will work.

Feb 20, 2022 11:06 AM in response to Sapote

I can only update Mojave or to Monterey through Software update. I can try Monterey and migrate my user account from Big Sur TM backup or download Big Sur installer and see how that goes.

Updating Mojave. Amazing how fast everything is now.

I could have tried “Restore from Time Machine Backup” but I want to see if a clean installation of Big Sur will work (fix slow down issue) or not.

Feb 20, 2022 11:34 AM in response to Sapote

If SW Update still shows Monterey update only I’m going to use Safari to download/update Catalina installer and then Big Sur to see how that goes. Update by update, but with a clean install. Hopefully I will be back where I started and Big Sur will work properly (fast startup).

I’m taking the long macOS Recovery detour…

Feb 20, 2022 2:56 PM in response to Sapote

So far so good… 👍🤞

The initial Big Sur installer (11.6.1) was installed in about 30 minutes and restart was quick. It looks like this clean installation from Mojave to Big Sur might work.

The slow down issue in part might be related to the 15 years of macOS updates and migrating to new iMacs. I hope migrating my user account from TM backup doesn’t ruin it.

Now on to 11.6.4 update.

Feb 20, 2022 3:46 PM in response to Sapote

The 11.6.4 update is taking a bit longer and has gone through three Apple logo progress bars (third one being the longest). There was also a new update right after I hit Install Now.

It took about 17 minutes total to login screen but login was fast. The Desktop, Dock, Menu Bar, apps,.. all loaded right away. No lag in response. This is going well so far.

About This Mac still shows 11.6.4 but I’m sure there were two final updates with this version.

Now for the ultimate test; restarting it.

Feb 21, 2022 11:00 AM in response to Sapote

I celebrated too soon.

After using Migration Assistant to transfer my Big Sur User Account from Time Machine backup has returned my iMac back to its former self with slow restart/login (apps slow to respond,..etc). It's also caused issues with apps not opening (have to download/install again), Mail having to import email storage, and more. This macOS Recovery process is not easy. Too complicated. After erase/reinstall Big Sur I would have to reinstall/set up all apps,..etc, and manually copy all User Account files/folders from TM BU, which would take a long time. Doing a fresh install of apps and setting them up is one thing, but all the other app and system settings, preferences,... is too much.

Here are some screenshots of Disk Utility after migration. Not sure why that added back the "com.apple.os.update-##" volume.

Feb 20, 2022 4:06 PM in response to Sapote

Unbelievable! It took 27 seconds to restart with Big Sur 11.6.4 and less then 5 seconds to login now compared to 10-15+ minutes before. 🎉🎉🎉

The lesson here is “Clean Install” with each major update or erase and reinstall from earliest macOS release for your Mac. I’m quite sure the 15 years of updates and migrating to new iMacs caused it.

Wish I had done this a year ago to avoid all the stress it has caused me. Thanks Apple.

Hopefully this will work for others having same slow-down issue after updating to Big Sur and Monterey. Now I feel more confident updating to Monterey.

Now to migrate my user account from TM backup. I hope that doesn’t ruin this moment. And fortunately I don’t have a lot of third-party apps, but I do have 300 GB of music to copy back.

Feb 20, 2022 4:23 PM in response to Sapote

So how do I Migrate my User Account from the previous Big Sur TM backup without ruining what I have done? Is there a certain way to perform it at this point? I only used my name for this new installation. I did not set up anything else with user account (no iCloud sign in,…etc).

Do I just connect the external TM SSD and use Migration Assistant to copy my account over? Should I change the current user account name to something else and then delete it afterwards, or does it matter? I seem to recall that Migration Asistant will ask you if you want to merge or replace account, correct?

Now I’m concerned that restoring my user account is going to copy over folders/files, settings,.. that mess it up or just cause other issues.

Feb 20, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Sapote

I’m surprised/not surprised no one has posted yet, or at least not a link to “How to use macOS Recovery / Erase Mac HD” or “How to Install macOS“. Maybe they’re waiting to see what happens.

I know others have tried something similar and it did not work for their Mac, but perhaps my approach (clean downgrade to/from Mojave) was different. Regardless, it’s a very bizarre problem for a lot of Mac users with either Big Sur or Monterey.

Feb 20, 2022 5:01 PM in response to Sapote

Should I change my current “Admin” user account (uncheck “Allow user to administer this computer”) before migrating? Will this cause an issue/conflict with login if I’m migrating another Admin user account? What about the current login password (same as before)?

I also had FileVault and Firewall turned on and my TM backup is encrypted.

Should I just ignore all of this and migrate my Admin user account over from TM backup?

I want this to be a clean migration. I don’t have enough experience with it (only with new iMacs during setup).

Should I use macOS Recovery “Restore from TM Backup” instead?

Reinstall macOS Big Sur after Erase Mac HD failed, Error…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.