Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Reset Password on Login Screen - There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server

I have forgotten my MacBook Air login password. Now, when I try to reset the password by logging into my iCloud account it gives me an error “There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server”. Even if I try to reset my iCloud ID and password, it says there is no internet connection when my internet is connected to a stable Wi-if network.

Can someone help?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 10:44 AM

If I Command+R, I see the apple logo and then I land on the my account whose password I have forgotten. I have tried this multiple times but I do not land on a screen where I have utilities in top tool bar. The only option on landing screen is to enter my account password.

I have tried Recovery OS as well(Command + R + S), this takes me to a screen where I am asked to choose an option to reset password. On the top right nav, I see option to restart, shutdown or choose startup disk(I don’t know the password to unlock the disk).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 10:44 AM in response to PRP_53

If I Command+R, I see the apple logo and then I land on the my account whose password I have forgotten. I have tried this multiple times but I do not land on a screen where I have utilities in top tool bar. The only option on landing screen is to enter my account password.

I have tried Recovery OS as well(Command + R + S), this takes me to a screen where I am asked to choose an option to reset password. On the top right nav, I see option to restart, shutdown or choose startup disk(I don’t know the password to unlock the disk).

Feb 20, 2022 6:41 AM in response to joshuafinny

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Feb 22, 2022 1:41 PM in response to joshuafinny

Based upon you previous information stating this is an Intel Computer, I have to guess;

1 - Either one is using an External Bluetooth Keyboard which is not functioning properly. For best results use a USB wired Keyboard

2 - or the External Bluetooth Keyboard is not connected to the computer at the time of powering up

3 - User error

4 - The computer is an actually a Apple Silicon ARMS based computer

Should it be an Apple Silicon ARMS computer - refer to below

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Unable to Reset Password on Login Screen - There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.