Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Mail after Monterey upgrade, index broken, prompted to re-import messages but import fails

After upgrading my 2015 MacBook Air to Monterey, I have almost the same problem as described in

Can't open Mail, Index is broken! - Apple Community

I would like to try the same solution as offered there but am not sure which Library files I should try to delete in Monterey. Can you help?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 6:59 AM

I was able to solve the problem by moving the Mail folder and the com.apple.mail.savedState folder (original not symlink) to the Trash. When I rebooted and opened Mail my accounts showed up and began to fill up from my Gmail IMAP accounts correctly.

2 replies

Feb 23, 2022 3:50 PM in response to lorettakelley

Here is the error message that appears when I try to open the Mail app: "“To use the new features in Mail, your existing Mail messages need to be imported into the new version the first time you use Mail. etc.” After clicking Continue the message that appears is: “The import failed. An error occurred during the import. Make sure you have available space in your home folder and try again.” I have run First Aid in Disk Utility while in Recovery Mode a couple of times and found no errors. I have 703 GB of free space.

Can't open Mail after Monterey upgrade, index broken, prompted to re-import messages but import fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.