Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit a custom image mask shape?

I want to edit the shapes that are masking an image (I know how to replace the image). The shapes aren't grouped, nor do they appear to be editable. I can choose Edit Mask and change the overall size and aspect ratio of the mask, but I can't change the shapes themselves. If I got to Format>Shapes and Lines, "Make Editable" is grayed out. It's the same on the Slide Layout. When I reset Mask, there are no shapes above or below it. Is there a way to "release" the mask so I can edit the shape?

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/THdmVSRdjZI

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 1:26 AM

I'm trying to edit an existing shape, but it seems that once a shape is used to mask a photo, it is no longer editable. An in fact, once you mask a photo with a shape, you can't even remove the photo and get back to the original shape.

Once an image is masked with a shape, the shape is replaced with a masked image.

Images can't use "Make Editable".

Therefore, if you need to edit a shape after the image is added on to a shape, use this workaround:

• create a custom shape in a new blank presentation, save the Keynote file to be used only to store these custom shapes
  • each time you want to edit or add a new shape to your presentation, edit the shape in the customs shape Keynote file
  • copy it on to the slide that will be used for the presentation
  • add an image to the custom shape
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 1:26 AM in response to CherylG3

I'm trying to edit an existing shape, but it seems that once a shape is used to mask a photo, it is no longer editable. An in fact, once you mask a photo with a shape, you can't even remove the photo and get back to the original shape.

Once an image is masked with a shape, the shape is replaced with a masked image.

Images can't use "Make Editable".

Therefore, if you need to edit a shape after the image is added on to a shape, use this workaround:

• create a custom shape in a new blank presentation, save the Keynote file to be used only to store these custom shapes
  • each time you want to edit or add a new shape to your presentation, edit the shape in the customs shape Keynote file
  • copy it on to the slide that will be used for the presentation
  • add an image to the custom shape

Feb 21, 2022 6:28 AM in response to CherylG3

From my original post:
If I go to Format>Shapes and Lines, "Make Editable" is grayed out.

Your video shows it is an image on the slide, it is not a shape.

Shapes in Keynote are vectors, they are lines and curves based on a mathematical formula and they can be edited using

Format > Shapes and Lines > Make Editable

Image files placed in Keynote are bitmap images made up from pixels and can't use Format > Shapes and Lines > Make editable

I want to edit the shape after the photo has been masked with it.

It is not possible to do that, as it is an image that is on the slide having been masked with a shape,

Only shapes can use Make Editable.

Therefore you will need to use the procedure I suggested in my previous post:

• Place a shape on the slide using: Insert > Shape and select one of the shape types.
  • Size and position the shape.
  • You can edit the form of the shape by selecting the shape then go to: Format > Shapes and Lines > Make editable
  • Drag an image onto the shape on the slide, it will open in the mask tool, you can now size and position the image as required to fit in the shape.

Feb 20, 2022 3:55 PM in response to CherylG3

Place a shape on the slide using: Insert > Shape and select one of the shape types.

Size and position the shape.

You can edit the form of the shape by selecting the shape then go to: Format > Shapes and Lines > Make editable

Drag an image onto the slide, it will open in the mask tool, you can now size and position the image as required to fit in the shape.

Feb 20, 2022 4:32 PM in response to Gary Scotland

You can edit the form of the shape by selecting the shape then go to: Format > Shapes and Lines > Make editable

From my original post:

If I go to Format>Shapes and Lines, "Make Editable" is grayed out.

If you watch the video, you can see the shape is not editable. I know how to place an image on a slide and how to mask it with a shape. I want to edit the shape after the photo has been masked with it.

Feb 21, 2022 8:21 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for your help. I know the difference between raster and vector.

Take a look at this new short video–with voiceover–explaining what I want to do:

How do I edit a custom image mask shape?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.