Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting an error message when rules are applied to certain emails, the rules move mail to folders from any mail box setup to the folders which are setup on one email account

mailbox rules not working and error comes up "The IMAP command “APPEND” (to FODLER NAME) failed with server error: Cannot upload message, TOOBIG (took 1 ms)".

Therefore the emails are unable to sort themselves and until the mailbox error is acknowledged, all mails cant sync until I manually press ok, then the mail won't even move.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 9:08 AM

I had a similar problem almost a year ago with one of my accounts when I was trying to move messages received to a mail folder I had set up under my iCloud account. In my case, it was a temporary incompatibility between the version of mail (developer beta of macOS installed) and SmallCubed MailSuite. It was trying to move to a folder, but the folder was no longer in the original location. The folder had the same name, and it appeared in the rule correctly, but when I clicked on the Move Message to Mailbox dropdown, it switched to No Mailbox Selected. Once I added it back I stopped seeing that error.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue. If I remember any other details about what I tried I will let you know.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Vanduster

I had a similar problem almost a year ago with one of my accounts when I was trying to move messages received to a mail folder I had set up under my iCloud account. In my case, it was a temporary incompatibility between the version of mail (developer beta of macOS installed) and SmallCubed MailSuite. It was trying to move to a folder, but the folder was no longer in the original location. The folder had the same name, and it appeared in the rule correctly, but when I clicked on the Move Message to Mailbox dropdown, it switched to No Mailbox Selected. Once I added it back I stopped seeing that error.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue. If I remember any other details about what I tried I will let you know.

Feb 24, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Vanduster

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 21, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Vanduster

I think we could use a little more detail if you can possibly provide it. I can make some assumptions that you have multiple email accounts, but you have a rule or rules that if a message, regardless of the account receiving the email, matches it is moved to another IMAP account's folder? Are you using Apple's Mail or another email client?

For example, I'm using Mail.app and I have a mac.com and Gmail address. I have rules that will move emails received on my Gmail account to a subfolder under my mac.com account. Is your situation similar and is that where the error is occurring?

Feb 21, 2022 7:11 AM in response to David Stempnakowski

Hi there, thanks for getting back. To answer your question. I am using the mail.app on MBP with OSX Monterey. I have multiple email accounts setup (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo & my Workmail) on the app with rules that apply to all incoming email which route specific emails to folders on one mailbox. This is how I manage the emails. However, recently I had errors such as "IMAP command “APPEND” (to FOLDER) failed with server error: Cannot upload message, TOOBIG (took 1 ms). on Mac mail.

This is the error message, until I clear it and select ok, no further emails will be received across all email accounts so long as the error message is not cleared.

This keeps on popping up for several emails and I cannot even find some of the emails it makes reference to, so I do not know why this issue has come now.

Additional to this, I had to deactivate the Yahoo email account from synchronising completely, as long as it is active the errors are non stop preventing more emails from downloading.

Thanks,

Feb 22, 2022 9:48 PM in response to David Stempnakowski

Hi, thanks for the update, after you mentioned the issue regarding folders & rules, I had a look and found all the folders my rules were pointing to under "rules" were all blank, therefore the error code was being generated as there was no folder being pointed to. So I spent a pain-staking few hours re-assigning all the rules to folders. So thank you for pointing that out to me, it's all working now. Greatly apreciated.

Feb 23, 2022 6:59 AM in response to David Stempnakowski

Hi David, my happiness was short-lived ... :(

After performing all the mailbox rules re-allocation, my mailbox started to behave the same again, this time when I go to adjust the rules, the system is moving the folder to the top of the drop down list when you are selecting the folder for the mail to be transferred over to.

It is changing it on it's own, as if it cannot remember the settings for some reason. Not sure why it is doing this, but I have had to change them all again, after an hour or so, gone, errors are back.

Maybe it's time to change mail app.

Would you know why the chosen folder location cant be remembered when being selected under the rules section ?

Thanks again,

Warm regards,

Feb 24, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Vanduster

I'm sorry that this is a continuing issue for you. The only time I have seen something similar was when there was an issue creating the folder structure on the IMAP server. I would try and create a local mailbox folder as a test and modify one of your rules to move messages to that local folder (I know this is not what you want, especially long-term but just to see how mail behaves). If this rule holds and works consistently in a manner you expect, then we can probably rule out an issue with Apple Mail. I am assuming that you have no Mail extensions or other plugins like MailSuite.

If that does work, I'd log into the web interface of my IMAP account (so, Apple's iCloud Mail for example) and see if your folders actually exist there.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is another instance of your mail that might be overwriting your changes.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

I keep getting an error message when rules are applied to certain emails, the rules move mail to folders from any mail box setup to the folders which are setup on one email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.