Mailboxes with Rules suddenly gives error Cannot be found

Hi,

I have several mailboxes that I've created rules for that move my email to them.

Two weeks ago, I've been receiving the following error messages:

The message “Unprecedented Demand” could not be moved to the mailbox “Chartr”

Mail was unable to open this mailbox on the server “p46-imap.mail.me.com”.

The server returned the error: Mailbox does not exist (took 1 ms)

I've tried, removing my account and reinstalling it on both my Mac and iPhone.

I've also tried Mail>Rebuild on the mailboxes with no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 8:15 AM

Hello JGWheeler,

Based on what you've told us, this appears to be happening with your iCloud account. @me.com, @mac.com, and @icloud.com are all iCloud account email addresses. The error message mentioned “p46-imap.mail.me.com”, which is a server port for your iCloud account. You can learn more about iCloud account aliases here: iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

To translate the message a bit, Mail is saying that it couldn't open the mailbox "Chartr" on the server (on the iCloud side), because the mailbox doesn't exist.

Here are a few things to check:

Are you able to send and receive emails using your iCloud account?

You can test that by composing a simple test email and sending it directly to yourself using the same email address. You should receive the email shortly. If you do, that means your server settings are correct for the account, and the issue is most likely caused by the rule itself. So rebuilding the account or signing out and back in won't be needed to correct the issue.

Is the term "Chartr" used in a rule?

If so, disable the rule(s) and test for the issue again. You can test by forwarding an email to yourself that would typically be caught by the rule. If the issue doesn't continue, we know a rule was the culprit.

If the issue is related to the rule based on the steps above, it indicates the mailbox may be the root cause.

Check to see if the mailbox exists on iCloud.com/mail. If you don't see it, that explains the issue. The mailbox doesn't exist and iCloud cant sync with it. You'll need to create it or change the rule.

If you see the mailbox, check the spelling.

If the rule and mailbox name are different in any way, it could cause an issue. Make sure capitalization matches and that there are no leading or trailing spaces in both the mailbox and rule.

Thanks.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 8:15 AM in response to JGWheeler

Hello JGWheeler,

Based on what you've told us, this appears to be happening with your iCloud account. @me.com, @mac.com, and @icloud.com are all iCloud account email addresses. The error message mentioned “p46-imap.mail.me.com”, which is a server port for your iCloud account. You can learn more about iCloud account aliases here: iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

To translate the message a bit, Mail is saying that it couldn't open the mailbox "Chartr" on the server (on the iCloud side), because the mailbox doesn't exist.

Here are a few things to check:

Are you able to send and receive emails using your iCloud account?

You can test that by composing a simple test email and sending it directly to yourself using the same email address. You should receive the email shortly. If you do, that means your server settings are correct for the account, and the issue is most likely caused by the rule itself. So rebuilding the account or signing out and back in won't be needed to correct the issue.

Is the term "Chartr" used in a rule?

If so, disable the rule(s) and test for the issue again. You can test by forwarding an email to yourself that would typically be caught by the rule. If the issue doesn't continue, we know a rule was the culprit.

If the issue is related to the rule based on the steps above, it indicates the mailbox may be the root cause.

Check to see if the mailbox exists on iCloud.com/mail. If you don't see it, that explains the issue. The mailbox doesn't exist and iCloud cant sync with it. You'll need to create it or change the rule.

If you see the mailbox, check the spelling.

If the rule and mailbox name are different in any way, it could cause an issue. Make sure capitalization matches and that there are no leading or trailing spaces in both the mailbox and rule.

Thanks.

Apr 1, 2023 5:58 PM in response to JGWheeler

Hi JGWheeler,

Great trouble shooting so far. Let's also isolate and possibly resolve this mailbox rule issue by starting up in safe mode testing:

"Before you begin

To start up your Mac in safe mode, you need to know what type of Mac you have.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Look at the information in the window to determine what type of Mac you have:
    • If you see an item labeled Chip, followed by the name of the chip, you have a Mac with Apple silicon.
    • If you see an item labeled Processor, followed by the name of an Intel processor, you have an Intel-based Mac.
  1. Use the corresponding set of instructions below to start up your Mac in safe mode.

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Verify your Mac started up in safe mode

If you’re unsure whether your Mac started up in safe mode, you can use the System Information app to check the mode.

1. On your Mac, press and hold the Option key, then choose Apple menu  > System Information.
  2. In the System Information app, select Software in the sidebar.
  3. In the System Software Overview, look at the value listed next to the item labeled Boot Mode.
    • Safe: The Mac is using safe mode.
    • Normal: The Mac is not using safe mode. "

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Apr 2, 2023 12:19 PM in response to JGWheeler

Hi JGWheeler,

Thanks for letting us know. Before proceeding, we would also suggest making sure you have a current backup of the information on your Mac, to ensure your content has been securely saved. This link explains how to back up, if needed: Back up your Mac

Please check out the information in the following link, which explains how to use safe mode to help isolate issues, and will guide you through that process: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue that doesn't seem to be associated with using any particular app. As always, keeping your software up to date is the first step toward resolving any software issue.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2023 6:19 AM in response to ace1018

Thanks ace1018,

Your reply was very helpful.

This was the solution:

My Gmail account is receiving the mail, and I created a rule to sort the emails to go to the folders in my Gmail account. But for some reason, Mac Mail wants to sort them to my iCloud account, where they didn't exist. So once I created the folders in my iCloud account and updated the rules, that solved the problem.

Thank you.

Mailboxes with Rules suddenly gives error Cannot be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.