Related Article: About AirPrint

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After my last update, my MacBook Air doesn't recognize my printers

After my last update, my MacBook Air doesn't recognize my printers. They appear off line. How can I fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 4:06 AM

Hi,

Would it be correct to assume that your printers are AirPrint-enabled models (in the list in About AirPrint - Apple Support), and that they were working well wirelessly with the MacBook Air before the update in question?

If other printers, please post back with the exact models. Also, are you using macOS 10.12 Sierra (this area of the communities), or possibly another operating system version?

The AirPrint technology allows printing without having to install additional drivers, provided that a printer and a computer are connected to the same network (router).

If applicable, and if all settings are OK, try the following procedure:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printers, the MacBook Air, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printers. Wait a minute or two. Power on the MacBook Air. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 4:06 AM in response to line257

Hi,

Would it be correct to assume that your printers are AirPrint-enabled models (in the list in About AirPrint - Apple Support), and that they were working well wirelessly with the MacBook Air before the update in question?

If other printers, please post back with the exact models. Also, are you using macOS 10.12 Sierra (this area of the communities), or possibly another operating system version?

The AirPrint technology allows printing without having to install additional drivers, provided that a printer and a computer are connected to the same network (router).

If applicable, and if all settings are OK, try the following procedure:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printers, the MacBook Air, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printers. Wait a minute or two. Power on the MacBook Air. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Feb 21, 2022 1:24 PM in response to line257

Hi,

Your printers and/or their software is probably too old for the newer OS. At some point all hardware becomes incompatible with a newer OS. You can try to find if someone created newer software for your printers by doing an online search for your printer model and software for it and the OS you're now running.

Feb 22, 2022 6:56 AM in response to tjk

I believe it is my computer that causes this. It happened to me last year and I bought a new printer. However after my last update it occurred again. I was able to correct it by re-entering the air print command to my computer, but unfortunately I do not remember how...I know I should have written down how I did it but I didn't.

If you know how let me know.

After my last update, my MacBook Air doesn't recognize my printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.