Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic every time I close computer

I just updated to the latest version of Big Sur (11.6.4). Suddenly, every time I close and then reopen my computer, there is a kernel panic. I tried rebooting in Safe Mode and the problem is still there. The particular error message says "Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelICLLPGraphicsFrameBuffer."

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 1:07 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

I am nearly two days in post-Monterey upgrade and my MacBook is still completely stable, when it normally would have panicked multiple times (and I’ve been intentionally sleeping it frequently to try to trigger the panic behaviour).

I’m going to go ahead and call this a software issue.

I think the best advice for now is that anyone who can upgrade to Monterey should do that. (And otherwise consider a rollback.)

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 1:07 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the clarification.

I am nearly two days in post-Monterey upgrade and my MacBook is still completely stable, when it normally would have panicked multiple times (and I’ve been intentionally sleeping it frequently to try to trigger the panic behaviour).

I’m going to go ahead and call this a software issue.

I think the best advice for now is that anyone who can upgrade to Monterey should do that. (And otherwise consider a rollback.)

Feb 23, 2022 5:17 PM in response to reiny97

I have the same issue. Was fine prior to the update, but now crashes nearly every time I sleep. There was a suggestion in another thread to go to Notifications in System Preferences and Turn on 'Do Not Disturb' 'When the display is sleeping', which I briefly thought had resolved the issue, but now it's back again. Perhaps it will help for you though.

Mar 1, 2022 12:44 PM in response to reiny97

I have the same issue since the last update (11.6.4). I suspected my USB C HDMI hub but today the Mac made a kernel panic without the hub connected.

In the installation report (about this Mac / system report / Software / installation it is stated that I have installer Monterey 12.2.1 ! but it is not the case.

I try to reset NVRAM and SMC, without any changes.

I'm doomed to wait for the next update except if somebody have the solution.

Hard to use a Mac for professional application is these conditions.

Mar 1, 2022 5:27 PM in response to Barney-15E

I confess that this seems like strange advice to me when there are a number of users all reporting the same issue immediately following an update? I mean, I guess it can't hurt to be safe, but doesn't it seem more likely there's been a bug introduced in 11.6.4?

I'd been putting off upgrading to Monterey, but currently that seems like the most promising path forward for me.

Mar 2, 2022 4:16 AM in response to emanymyllaerton

I confess that this seems like strange advice to me when there are a number of users all reporting the same issue immediately following an update? I mean, I guess it can't hurt to be safe, but doesn't it seem more likely there's been a bug introduced in 11.6.4?

I'd been putting off upgrading to Monterey, but currently that seems like the most promising path forward for me.

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults and third-party kernel extensions. There are a few other causes, including some problem in Apple's kexts, but that is rare. If it is hardware, no update will fix it, including upgrading to Monterey. If it is Apple's kext, you have a better chance of making them aware of it through a Genius Bar than sending them reports.

If you think it is the update, use the softwareupdate command in Terminal to download the full installer for the OS version you were using before the update and install that. Create a bootable USB installer and use that to erase your 11.6.4 OS and install the old one.

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6.3

There are full installers for 11.5.2, and 11.6.1, .2, .3, and .4.

Mar 2, 2022 12:29 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the more informative reply.

I can report no panics so far since Monterey upgrade (despite multiple sleeps where it was likely to panic on 11.6.4). But early days yet; will report back again when it's had more of a chance to panic again.

Out of interest, why would a hardware issue that didn't previously manifest suddenly do so (for multiple users, with the same suspect bundle) following an OS upgrade? Genuinely trying to understand, as this isn't intuitive to me at all.

Mar 2, 2022 12:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

I have the same problem and took it to the Genius Bar and he told me to erase my laptop and reinstall everything one by one. But I read on other threads that doesn't work either. It's obviously a software problem because so many people are experiencing the same thing at the same time. Hopefully Apple will fix this problem on their end soon.. otherwise I guess I'll take my chances with Monterey in hopes of that solving it.

Didn't have this problem until I upgraded to 11.6.4.

Mar 2, 2022 4:48 PM in response to emanymyllaerton

Out of interest, why would a hardware issue that didn't previously manifest suddenly do so (for multiple users, with the same suspect bundle) following an OS upgrade? Genuinely trying to understand, as this isn't intuitive to me at all.

There have been many hardware issues that aren't triggered until a new OS or update affects the hardware in some new way. Most often it has been faulty GPUs, but could be anything. Many people could be affected because Apple buys components in bulk that may all have the same hidden flaw. It can be a problem with Apple's kexts, too, but problems like that are usually fixed within a few days with a new release of the update.

Mar 2, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Barney-15E

So this would seem to imply that there may be (is likely to be?) a hardware issue even if an upgrade or roll back resolves the immediate issue (which it so far has for me, though jury is still out.)

So we should still get our hardware checked even so? Are Apple likely to view things this way if we ask them (or just suggest there’s no issue because there’s no immediate symptom)?

Kernel Panic every time I close computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.