Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panics

Hello,

I am having kernel panics which are causing my machine to reboot every few days, always when I'm not actively using it. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz dual core i5 with 16GB RAM running the latest version of Big Sur (11.3.1).

Have reset the PRAM and NVRAM and this has made the reboots less frequent (they used to happen every day).

Below are the two most recent issue reports. Would really appreciate advice on whether or not this is a hardware issue, as don't want to create a clean user profile or OS reinstall unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 17, 2021 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 12:47 AM

You need to use the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. You need to paste the contents of the log into the "Additional Text" message body, otherwise you will just end up copying the path to the file on your Mac.

You may also want to run EtreCheck and post the report here. You will need to click the "Share Report" icon within the EtreCheck app and selecting "Copy Report" and pasting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

To check for possible hardware issues run the Apple Diagnostics.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 12:47 AM in response to oxstud88

You need to use the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. You need to paste the contents of the log into the "Additional Text" message body, otherwise you will just end up copying the path to the file on your Mac.

You may also want to run EtreCheck and post the report here. You will need to click the "Share Report" icon within the EtreCheck app and selecting "Copy Report" and pasting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

To check for possible hardware issues run the Apple Diagnostics.

May 20, 2021 1:30 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks again HWTech. I couldn't locate application files for either CleanMyMac or usboverdrive, but did find some residual Library files which have now been deleted. Have also uninstalled any similar software.

Unfortunately my mac crashed again coming out of sleep mode (I think maybe this is always the case as the crashes always happen when I'm away from my computer?) - have posted the new report here. Wondering if it could be due to a peripheral, e.g. bluetooth mouse?

I also ran the Apple Diagnostics and it said the computer was all fine (ADP000 - no issues found).

Have rerun EtreCheck as suggested and posted below.

May 19, 2021 12:14 PM in response to oxstud88

First uninstall CleanMyMac by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software is not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than it solves plus they impact system performance.

If you still have issues, then you may want to make sure the "usboverdrive" item is completely up to date as it has crashed 14 times or uninstall that software. I don't know what app that driver is associated with.

If you still have problems after that, then run EtreCheck again and post the new report here.

Kernel Panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.