Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my downloads folder no longer shows

I have Monterey. I can no longer see my downloads folder, in Finder or when in applications looking for a downloaded file to open. For example, I downloaded a .CSV file from my bank, and when I try to open it in Excel, there is no sign of a downloads folder. This worked fine until recently and I'm not aware of doing anything to make a change.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 4:14 PM

I have the same problem: Brand new mac book pro 2021 --- Download folder is GONE and it does NOT even show in the Finder Preferences---"?" is greyed out in the download icon--- This is the message "“Downloads” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found." Help please? And thanks.

6 replies

Mar 25, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Trouble57

No, sorry they haven't. After having a supervisor look at my computer, he sent my info directly to the Apple Engineers.

I never heard back. However, I traced it myself back to my TIME MACHINE BACKUP---for whatever reason, a string of backups, the download folder itself had a "white" page icon with a 'LOCK" icon in the bottom corner of it. I'm assuming that's why the download folder didn't migrate over onto my new Mac Book Pro 16inch. So, I erased my new computer, and migrated off of an OLD backup, from a year ago, which DID have the download folder in it, (Not just the icon of it) and it worked. SO---there was something about the backup. I did lose a year's worth of files, for I keep a ton in my download folder for easy access. BUT, at least I have the download folder again--:) Wish I could be more help---or someone at APPLE could be--:)

my downloads folder no longer shows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.