Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Mailbox messages on iPhone are not deleting on iMac Mailbox

I mainly use my iPhone to check my email from mailbox (connected to Gmail). When I open mail on my iMac all the emails I have deleted on my iPhone are sitting in my inbox.

If I delete messages from my iMac it updates on my iPhone.

My iMac was short on memory and upgraded (not sure if that has anything to do with it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and probably needed to be explained kindergarten style.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 5:40 PM

To explain kindergarten style per your request, suffice it to say your gmail account on iPhone was likely set up in an antiquated style (known as POP3) which does not communicate the changes you made to email to any other device.

Here’s how to rectify this. Doing so will remove any changes you made to gmail on your iPhone and keep things as they are on your Mac.

Perform the following steps on your iPhone.

• Delete your gmail account. The way to do this is Settings > Mail > Accounts > Gmail > Delete Account.
  • Re-add your gmail account. See “How to set up your email account automatically” here. Yours is a Google account. Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • Check all the following- under Settings > Mail > Accounts > Gmail:
    • Be certain the appropriate row buttons are on, depending on whether you use Google contacts, calendars, notes
    • Under Account > Advanced
      • Double check “Move discarded messages into” is set as you like
      • Be certain you see “IMAP Path Prefix /“ under “Incoming Settings”

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 5:40 PM in response to Jessica19Q

To explain kindergarten style per your request, suffice it to say your gmail account on iPhone was likely set up in an antiquated style (known as POP3) which does not communicate the changes you made to email to any other device.

Here’s how to rectify this. Doing so will remove any changes you made to gmail on your iPhone and keep things as they are on your Mac.

Perform the following steps on your iPhone.

• Delete your gmail account. The way to do this is Settings > Mail > Accounts > Gmail > Delete Account.
  • Re-add your gmail account. See “How to set up your email account automatically” here. Yours is a Google account. Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • Check all the following- under Settings > Mail > Accounts > Gmail:
    • Be certain the appropriate row buttons are on, depending on whether you use Google contacts, calendars, notes
    • Under Account > Advanced
      • Double check “Move discarded messages into” is set as you like
      • Be certain you see “IMAP Path Prefix /“ under “Incoming Settings”

Deleted Mailbox messages on iPhone are not deleting on iMac Mailbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.