Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can‘t network install, but I know why, just won’t let me fix it

For whatever reason while I was formatting the old Data and reinstalling MacOS, recovery mode dumped itself and I can only network install.

When I Network install i get a –1008F error. I think I get this error is because the HDD (not actually a HDD) is MacOS journaled and it wants AFPS. I'd love to reformat the internal storage as AFPS, but I can’t because recovery mode doesn‘t work.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 9:17 AM

If you had "Find My Mac" enabled, this can be a cause of your issue.

If your Mac starts up to error -1008F - Apple Support

Follow the section "Or disable Activation lock" with the second set of instructions since you obviously cannot log in.

As far as the format, the network installer will format the drive to what ever format required for it.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 9:17 AM in response to Snaeker58

If you had "Find My Mac" enabled, this can be a cause of your issue.

If your Mac starts up to error -1008F - Apple Support

Follow the section "Or disable Activation lock" with the second set of instructions since you obviously cannot log in.

As far as the format, the network installer will format the drive to what ever format required for it.

Feb 24, 2022 8:55 AM in response to ku4hx

There seems to be no way around network install, but network install fails and I can’t remove the SSD and format it in a different Mac, as it’s soldered. I’m not going to desolder, reball and reinstall storage on my Mac.

What wonders me is how changing the format of storage (from AFPS to journaled) accidentally completely breaks Recovery mode…

Can‘t network install, but I know why, just won’t let me fix it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.