Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop icons and desktop/documents folders disappeared

I changed the name of the macOS user account and desktop Icons disappeared.

Documents and desktop folder in finder sidebar say this when you click them "the operation cant be completed because the original item for desktop/documents cant be found"

I could search for documents/desktop folders and find them, drag them to the sidebar and they work but still no icons on the desktop and I couldnt add any icons to the desktop. I got on a chat with Apple tech and went through all their suggestions, icloud, etc and nothing worked so their last suggestion was to reinstall OS.

I reinstall OS and now its just gotten worse, desktop/documents folders are completely gone with everything in them and the desktop still blank. luckily I got a time machine backup

HELP!?!?!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 7:08 AM

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

3 replies

Feb 25, 2022 5:21 PM in response to dmgriffin

Finally after performing every alleged solution I could find on this website and many others I said screw it I'll create a new user and move everything over. After doing that I thought i'd try copy and paste of the folders from the new user and voila I now have working desktop/documents folders, data is still gone but I have that saved somewhere else

crisis over

desktop icons and desktop/documents folders disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.