Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes needs to update to install latest ios on phone but i'm on latest itunes version!!!!

I'm on the latest version of iTunes - 12.10.11

I'm trying to update my iOS on iPhone 8 via my 64bit Windows OS and it says I need to be on the latest version of iTunes. Which I am. I even tried repairing iTunes but still getting the same error.

Is there a workaround so I can update my phone to 15.3.1?

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 7:57 AM

12.10.11 is only the current version of iTunes if you are still running Windows 7 or 8, and it did not support iOS 15. The actual latest version is 12.12.2, which only supports Windows 10 and 11. Do you have a PC running Windows 10 or 11?

5 replies

Feb 25, 2022 11:27 AM in response to Lama2388

Johnny DEP is correct, you need Windows 10 or Windows 11, which can install later versions of iTunes.

iTunes' helpful message actually isn't.

Rather than telling you that "your iTunes is up to date", it should say "iTunes is up to date for the version of Windows that you are using".

Not the best English perhaps, but at least it's less likely to mislead people. You're not the only one.

Feb 24, 2022 6:00 PM in response to Lama2388

The update is for iTunes itself, and is installed by iTunes itself, and is not separately downloadable nor user-installable. It’s iTunes patching itself, for communications the particular iPhone. If the patch has not managed to install, restart Windows, and try again. The patch installation is usually transparent, but sometimes things get confused.

itunes needs to update to install latest ios on phone but i'm on latest itunes version!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.