Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to replace my ageing imac (late 2013) with a mini mac,and be able to run them both,this will give me time to transfer photos and important docs. to the mini mac.Can this be done

I would like to replace my ageing imac (late 2013) with a mini mac,and be able to run them both,this will give me time to transfer photos and important docs. to the mini mac.Can this be done.

The iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 1:47 AM

A few options.

• I suggest enabling iCloud backup, this will keep your photos, documents and other files in the Cloud which are accessible on all your devices. I use this method and I can access iCloud on my iPhone, iPad, old Mac Pro and my new iMac.

• If you have Time Machine backups of the old computer you can transfer these to your new computer.

• You can use an external USB drive attched to the old computer onto which you copy files, this can then be unmounted and plugged into the new computer for access to these files. I used this method to transfer files from my old Mac Pro to my new M1 iMac. I prefer starting with a clean install of MacOS on the new computer as youre not transfering old apps and junk across.

• Bearing in mind that MacOS Monterey only allows 64bit Apps to run so before setting up your new machine find your registration codes for the old apps, download the latest compatible versions and re-enter the registrtion codes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 1:47 AM in response to FJR1742

A few options.

• I suggest enabling iCloud backup, this will keep your photos, documents and other files in the Cloud which are accessible on all your devices. I use this method and I can access iCloud on my iPhone, iPad, old Mac Pro and my new iMac.

• If you have Time Machine backups of the old computer you can transfer these to your new computer.

• You can use an external USB drive attched to the old computer onto which you copy files, this can then be unmounted and plugged into the new computer for access to these files. I used this method to transfer files from my old Mac Pro to my new M1 iMac. I prefer starting with a clean install of MacOS on the new computer as youre not transfering old apps and junk across.

• Bearing in mind that MacOS Monterey only allows 64bit Apps to run so before setting up your new machine find your registration codes for the old apps, download the latest compatible versions and re-enter the registrtion codes.

Feb 25, 2022 9:22 AM in response to FJR1742

Yes it can be done. This is a normal need most everyone has. It should be done with Migration Assistant. It is a program provided by Apple for transferring your files from your old computer to your new computer. It is very easy to use. Be sure to read and follow its instructions. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. You will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results.  Do not use it. It can corrupt or lose data.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You will likely want to transfer your settings and preferences.

You can transfer all or none of your files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

It should set up the new computer the same as the old one.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

I would like to replace my ageing imac (late 2013) with a mini mac,and be able to run them both,this will give me time to transfer photos and important docs. to the mini mac.Can this be done

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.