Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro - Slow Motion Library

Hello all,

Im a premiere pro user tired of crashes and subscriptions trying to move on and learn FCP.

In premiere pro I can slow down my footage in the browser to preview them already in slow motion before I select the section of it and import them to my timeline and I cant find anything like this in FCP.

Is there a way to slow down the footage reinterpret a 60 fps file to 24 fps?

I can slow down footage easily in a timeline, I looking for a solution to do this before the timeline.

Thank you all!

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 6:29 AM

You're the first person I've ever heard of in over two decades who wants to slow down footage in the Browser, so this is really interesting to me. What is the reason for this? I'm sincerely curious.

In FCP, no, you can't do it in the Browser directly. But you can open a clip into its own timeline and do it. Just be sure to undo it or it'll be like that in every place you use it after that.

Select a clip in the Browser.

Go to the Clip menu.

Choose "Open Clip".

Now you'll see the clip's contents (audio and video) in its own timeline. Anything you do here, you're doing to the master clip, so it will carry over into any timeline you place a copy in. So undo whatever you do here, especially retiming, it'll screw you up later.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 6:29 AM in response to fernandofromcoimbra

You're the first person I've ever heard of in over two decades who wants to slow down footage in the Browser, so this is really interesting to me. What is the reason for this? I'm sincerely curious.

In FCP, no, you can't do it in the Browser directly. But you can open a clip into its own timeline and do it. Just be sure to undo it or it'll be like that in every place you use it after that.

Select a clip in the Browser.

Go to the Clip menu.

Choose "Open Clip".

Now you'll see the clip's contents (audio and video) in its own timeline. Anything you do here, you're doing to the master clip, so it will carry over into any timeline you place a copy in. So undo whatever you do here, especially retiming, it'll screw you up later.

Feb 25, 2022 6:57 AM in response to BenB

Hello BenB,

First of all, thanks for your answer.

So my workflow in premiere pro is something like this, I set in and out points in clips, and then I move the selected parts to timeline, all the footage that I record in 60 FPS I want all them to play at 24 and to select the correct parts I prefer to see them in slow motion before I move it to timeline I just feel that's better select the right parts to cut and use if I see them in slow motion right away.

Maybe this is a wrong perspective but with so much time working like this, i got used to it.

My main business is wedding films and I know that to move from premiere to final cut I need to see things differently, but it has been very difficult to get used to final cut workflow, but the speed of the software is incredible I can work with 4k footage from my gh5 without proxies it's great.

Sooner or later I will move on and only work with final cut but for now its like to learn to walk again :)

thanks a lot for the time that you spend answer me, and I will try your solution, or maybe I just to see the 60 fps clip in its original speed and then slow that in the timeline, its a new way to do things but if everybody works like this maybe it's for a reason.

Feb 25, 2022 7:06 AM in response to fernandofromcoimbra

Yes, even in other NLEs I never select my slow motion footage that way. I know where the action needs to start and stop to be relevant/consistent with the overall scene. So I just make that a favorite and move on. Also, FCP's magnetic timeline allows you to experiment with slow motion in the timeline much easier, faster, and without screwing up anything already done, unlike other NLEs, so it was meant for you to do that experimenting in the timeline itself. And there's the opening the clip into its own timeline, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Feb 25, 2022 7:27 AM in response to fernandofromcoimbra

To really shorten the FCP learning curve I really recommend watching the free izzyvideo tutorials or for a modest amount, Mark and Steve at Ripple Training are excellent. Either of these would literally shave off days of the inevitable head-scratching. I came from the Avid and had some un-learning to do while wrapping my head around FCP's magnetic timeline, secondary storyline and roles. Once you get the mindset, it's amazingly fast and productive.

Feb 25, 2022 7:52 AM in response to terryb

As a very long time Apple certified FCP trainer, first thing I always told my classes for FCPX, "forget everything you've ever learned about any NLE ever, including legacy FCP!"

macProVideo.com has great training, some of the best, plus the price gets you access to thousands of other trainings for other apps. Plus, Jenn Jager Pro Tutorials on YouTube are GREAT and free. I super highly recommend Iain Anderson's amazing book.

Then these:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE8oLb6vESxIruIVH1ZDOlXvrTd939Y3p

Final Cut Pro - Slow Motion Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.