Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display preferences on Macbook M1 pro

I have to reset my MacBook Pro Display settings at least once a day and often more than once. I use 2 external displays (BENQ). Almost anytime my MacBook goes to sleep or I restart it, I need to open up Display preferences and reconfigure the way my screens are set up/positioned I didn't have to do the with my previous MacBook.

Not sure why I have to rearrange the displays multiple times. Any tips, it is frustrating having to reset it so often.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 3:30 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 28, 2022 3:30 AM in response to Ants1234

Previously NVRAM/PRAM & SMC resets solved similar kind of issues. (Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support)

Not sure if these still work in newer M1 Mac's.

Also there are files where these preferences are stored and may have errors and needs to be deleted, upon restart these files are freshly created.

Example files: ( ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.plist )

I'm not sure of exact file of the display sets setting.

Feb 25, 2022 10:16 PM in response to Ants1234

Have you tried safe mode for troubleshooting? (check if you have same issue)

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (Takes more time to boot compared to normal boot)

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Mar 1, 2022 4:05 PM in response to Sharhari

I tried reseting the PRAM but that did nothing. I am not sure how to look for display files that I could try deleting. I used these same monitors with my old MacBook and never had to reset the displays in system preferences. Now I have to open up system preferences several times a day. It doesn't make sense. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Display preferences on Macbook M1 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.