Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Remote - Strange Behavior

I have an Apple TV 4K connected to a Sony Bravia TV. Both are fully updated. I've performed a factory reset on the TV but not yet on the Apple TV. I'm using an Apple TV remote (2nd gen w/ mute button).

Today the Accessibility Shortcut window appeared on the TV and began to play audio instructions. I have no idea what invoked this. I don't know if it was coming from the Sony or Apple TV.

Now just moving my hand near the Apple TV remote will cause the Apple TV to mute and the power light on the Sony to begin flickering. It's as if the Apple TV remote now recognizes movement and invokes some command to do so if this.

I then press the mute button on the remote to unmute then press the Settings button twice on the Sony remote to stop the power light flickering by entering and immediately exiting Settings.

Yes, this behavior is just as crazy as it sounds. I feel like I'm crazy typing this.

Anyone with any clues what I've done? Please help. Send police or military. Anything.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 7:59 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 26, 2022 1:47 AM in response to msstatedawg

Today the Accessibility Shortcut window appeared on the TV and began to play audio instructions. I have no idea what invoked this. I don't know if it was coming from the Sony or Apple TV.

Probably triple-clicking Menu invoked it. If you don’t want to use the Accessibility Shortcut and prevent accidental use, then uncheck all options for it. That should disable it.

… moving my hand near the Apple TV remote …
Yes, this behavior is just as crazy as it sounds. I feel like I'm crazy typing this.

Midi-chlorians are the powerhouse of the Force. 😉

But seriously, remote gestures require touch. The remote shouldn’t send any signal untouched. Contact Apple if the remote misbehaves that way.

Apple TV Remote - Strange Behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.