Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen dim

Just got a new MaBook Air, every time I shut it down or just close the lid, it comes back dim. My old MacBook air was set to come back on bright. I have talked to support 3 times, everyone gives me a different answer. Nothing has worked. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? I am running Monterey 12.2.1

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 5:01 PM

If you are running the laptop on battery power, then the default macOS settings will reset the brightness level to a lower range in order to maximize battery runtime even if you had previously set the brightness to maximum. I find this extremely annoying behavior. If this is your problem, then you need to go into the Battery System Preferences (or the Energy Saver for older versions of macOS) and uncheck "Slightly dim the display while on battery power" which should preserve your customized brightness settings.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 5:01 PM in response to pudlowww

If you are running the laptop on battery power, then the default macOS settings will reset the brightness level to a lower range in order to maximize battery runtime even if you had previously set the brightness to maximum. I find this extremely annoying behavior. If this is your problem, then you need to go into the Battery System Preferences (or the Energy Saver for older versions of macOS) and uncheck "Slightly dim the display while on battery power" which should preserve your customized brightness settings.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Screen dim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.