Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect DVD drive to MacBook Air without unplugging everything else

I have a 2020 macbook air. I need to play some DVDs. The DVD player is an Apple one that was used on a full-size Mac. When I plugged the USB cord into my 4-USB adapter, I got the message that the player needed power. I know that you can use the Apple USB to USB C adapter that works for one USB device. Yes, that works, but I have to either unplug the power to the Mac to free up a USB-C outlet, or unplug everything, including my external hard drive to hook up the DVD player. Which means powering off each time I use the DVD drive because I had a disaster already trying to remove my external drive using "eject." This is ridiculous!!!!! Is there a way to play DVDs without having to disconnect everything else. I would rather not have to buy a powered player, because I don't need MORE wires and plugs, but would buying a powered drive with the old rectangular USB connector make it possible to play it plugged into my 4-USB adapter. Or would the expensive Apple multiple USB connector work?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 4:51 PM

You need a powered USB hub for a DVD player to work properly, or, you need to plug directly into the Mac.

~Lyssa

Similar questions

1 reply

How to connect DVD drive to MacBook Air without unplugging everything else

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.