Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop picture always defaults to stock blue background

Running OS 10.13.6. My Desktop Picture defaults to basic blue; no picture I put in any of the usable folders is retained after a restart. I've already tried everything I've found in several other threads in Apple Communities, including: booting in Safe mode and resetting the picture; resetting the NVRAM; replaced the PRAM battery; trying different picture files in different folders that can be accessed via the Desktop pane of System Preferences. Basically, that pane refuses to remember the desktop setting after a reboot. I'd love to hear from someone who *knows* how to fix it. Cheers, K

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 2:36 AM

SOLVED: I found and trashed the desktop pictures database, fittingly called "desktoppictures.db", chose the desired picture in the preference pane, then restarted (the db file is automatically rebuilt). That file was in the User directory, ~/application support/dock/ -- or something very much like that (I'm on a different computer ATM).

Thanks again, K

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 2:36 AM in response to BDAqua

SOLVED: I found and trashed the desktop pictures database, fittingly called "desktoppictures.db", chose the desired picture in the preference pane, then restarted (the db file is automatically rebuilt). That file was in the User directory, ~/application support/dock/ -- or something very much like that (I'm on a different computer ATM).

Thanks again, K

Feb 28, 2022 2:13 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua,

Following your directions, I've determined that the problem is user-specific. So what does that suggest, or what should be the remedy? I don't believe I want to abandon that "User," as I have heaps of audio software, some of which that may be tied to that identity (the various copy protection schemes work in mysterious ways).

– K

Desktop picture always defaults to stock blue background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.