Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari icons - all dissapeered after clearing history. Hoe to get them back

Mac Book air with M1. chip

After I cleared Safari history all bookmark icons disappeared. I do have the bookmarks in the left margin of my screen, Bookmarks (favorites) - how do I convert them back to icons?

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 12:49 PM

When you visit the sites again, Webpage icon will return.

This is what "Clearing History" will do for the webpage icons.

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

When you clear your history, Safari removes data it saves as a result of your browsing, including:

• Icons for webpages

4 replies

Feb 28, 2022 11:24 AM in response to dominic23

Working with a Mac Book Air, 2020 version with an M1 chip.

After I access a website, in order to have that site recorded as a "favorite" I would go to "add a bookmark"and have the site's icon go to my Safari page, icon. In the past I've gone to Safari History and clicked on "Clear History" and all the favorite usual icons were undisturbed. This time, all icons just disappeared. However, if I go to "start page" and "Bookmarks" I get a list of the sites that were saved as icons initially but are now just written favorites like "bank" or "weather" or "Apple" and are displayed along the left side of the screen. If I click on one of them Safari takes me to that site. "add as a bookmark" does not appear anywhere so I don't have an opportunity to save the visit as an icon.

Truly frustrating!

Thanks for any suggestions1

Jeff L.

safari icons - all dissapeered after clearing history. Hoe to get them back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.