Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect monitor to MacBook Pro?

I am getting a MacBook Pro 16" 2021. It comes with the following:

HDMI port

Three Thunderbolt 4 (USB‑C) ports

I have an external monitor and would like to connect the two. Is there a best way to do it and what cables would I need?

The monitor has:

A display port

HDMI

USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C2 port

It says "The USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C2 port enhances your productivity with ultrafast data-transfer speeds of up to 5 Gb/s and quick mobile device charging. What’s more, the port can support audio inputs and video inputs of up to WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution"

Would a USB-C to USB-C cable be best? Or HDMI to HDMI cable?

I presume if I use USB-C to USB-C I still need to plug in the monitor to an electricity socket, or will it get the charge through the MacBook?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 7:51 AM

DO NOT mistake the Apple USB CHARGE cable for a real cable. It is most certainly NOT.

It has charge conductors ONLY, and its data conductors are only suitable for running a Keyboard, no high-speed data pathways whatsoever.

--------

ThunderBolt cables used for multiple displays must be about 1/2 meter or less, or contain repeaters. It appears that USB-C cables can be slightly longer (up to 1 meter) and still work:

Monoprice Essentials USB Type-C to Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable - 10Gbps, 5A, 30AWG, Black, 1m (3.3 ft) - Product # 24285 - $18.49

The above is a high quality example. Don't get fixated on THAT cable. Buy a brand-name cable that meets those specs.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 7:51 AM in response to Sparky Marky

DO NOT mistake the Apple USB CHARGE cable for a real cable. It is most certainly NOT.

It has charge conductors ONLY, and its data conductors are only suitable for running a Keyboard, no high-speed data pathways whatsoever.

--------

ThunderBolt cables used for multiple displays must be about 1/2 meter or less, or contain repeaters. It appears that USB-C cables can be slightly longer (up to 1 meter) and still work:

Monoprice Essentials USB Type-C to Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable - 10Gbps, 5A, 30AWG, Black, 1m (3.3 ft) - Product # 24285 - $18.49

The above is a high quality example. Don't get fixated on THAT cable. Buy a brand-name cable that meets those specs.

Feb 28, 2022 3:27 AM in response to Mr Leo Sir

If your display can become a hub then a USB C to USB C cable could make this display into one.

That's interesting. My display has two 'normal' old style USB ports. So, if I connect using a USB-C to USB-C cable I could use these two USB ports (for my scanner and keyboard)?

As this will not carry a data signal mostly, you would need to use the HDMI connection also.

Really? The info with the display says "the USB-C port can support audio inputs and video inputs" I was hoping the USB-C to USB-C would allow me to use the monitor and for it to act as a hub.

The display will not get power from the MacBook

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression it would.

Feb 28, 2022 6:57 AM in response to Mr Leo Sir

Mr Leo Sir wrote:

Hi Sparky Marky,

If your display can become a hub then a USB C to USB C cable could make this display into one.
As this will not carry a data signal mostly, you would need to use the HDMI connection also.
The display will not get power from the MacBook

That is NOT correct. On a display that has a USB-C input, the display data CAN carried on the USB-C connection, IN ADDITION TO (not in place of) the data for additional peripherals. DisplayPort Alt mode in encapsulated in the USB-C data, and the display can extract and use that to run the display.

However, the USB-C cable required for this sort of connection needs to be short (limited to 1/2 meter) and rated for the top data rate.

Mar 1, 2022 2:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant Bennet-Alder,

I clearly didn't make myself clear here, DisplayPort was what I was thinking of.

I have had problems with this programe before, and not all Mac's I have used with this has worked like you would exspect.

Be that after a mac OS update and the DisplayPort stops working to days when it just doesnt work full stop for no reason that I can see.

This has been the case in the past and I use DisplayPort at home on my mac, yes the data for the screen is carryed though the USB port, it can even be done over USB A prots over 3.0 but I still find this not to be the best way to do things.

I also didnt put that the macbook wouldnt be able to power the screen but didnt say that the screen might be able to power the macbook.

With out knowing the screen make/ modle you or I can not say more then these things are out in the market.

How to connect monitor to MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.