Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility doesn't seem to be aware of the drives on my system until I open it , it then takes about 90 seconds to scan in OSX Monterey

I have a problem with Disk Utility in OS Monterey (iMac M1)

When I open it it takes about 90 seconds to populate with the drives on the system.

My old mac mini opens Disk utility opens with the disks populated imediately (running Catalina)

It seems to me that Catalina is a much more stable OS than both Big Sur and Monterey.

Can anyone help with this please

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 6:00 AM

12 replies

Feb 28, 2022 8:45 AM in response to gitarman4

gitarman4 wrote:

So it would seem that my M1 iMac is not running well.
It takes about 20/30 second to boot up and as I say, Disk utility is very slow to load the disks.

Slowness can be caused by a number of different things.

(excess user login items, a hung or failed process, third party AV and cleaning junkware)

Run EtreCheck Pro on your iMac. https://etrecheck.com

Then post back with your Report. How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Feb 28, 2022 6:39 AM in response to dialabrain

So it would seem that my M1 iMac is not running well.

It takes about 20/30 second to boot up and as I say, Disk utility is very slow to load the disks.

I have a 1Tb External SSD and a 2Tb WD attached.

My Mac Mini is a late 2012 Running Catalina with the OS on an internal 250gb SSD and

the original 500gb for Data......Also a 2Tb external, so both con figured in a similar way....

the Mac Mini Disc utility is instantaneous when opened.

Feb 28, 2022 8:59 AM in response to gitarman4

In addition to what others have mentioned, the speed can be affected by the health of the drive, and the health/condition of the partition and file system on the drive. Are your drives getting power from the Mac or do they have their own power supplies or get extra power from a powered USB3 hub or dock? Are you using the proper cables and adapters? Not all USB-C cables work at USB3 speeds such as the Apple charging cable supplied with the USB-C model Apple laptops.

Other externally connected devices may also play a role in how things work together. macOS 12.x Monterey is known to have some compatibility issues with USB3 drives although macOS 12.1 was supposed to have resolved most of those issues. It appears users with a Wacom tablet still have issues with USB3 drives even with the latest version of Monterey.

There are a lot of other things which could contribute, but you get my drift that you may have to do some investigating and experimentation.

Disk Utility doesn't seem to be aware of the drives on my system until I open it , it then takes about 90 seconds to scan in OSX Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.