Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 - Only Finder sees External SSD

Since the upgrade to 12.3.1, only Finder sees folders on external SSD.

Neither iMovie nor any Adobe programs or Nikon NX are able to read any data from the drive.

A normal external HDD is fine though, reading all the sub-folders.

Any advice?

Posted on May 16, 2022 11:58 AM

7 replies

May 17, 2022 8:57 AM in response to philfrompretoria

Hello philfrompretoria,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

If you’re experiencing issues with your iMac, often updating will help resolve this. Here's how to complete this: 

Before you get started, it's a good idea to back up your Mac. Then follow these steps to find and install any available software updates or upgrades.
1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
2. In the System Preferences window, click Software Update.
If your System Preferences doesn't include Software Update, learn how to upgrade to macOS Monterey or upgrade to an older macOS, and use the Updates tab of the App Store app to get app updates.
3. Click Update Now or Upgrade Now:
Update Now installs the latest updates for the currently installed version, such as an update from macOS Big Sur 11.5 to macOS Big Sur 11.6. 
Upgrade Now installs a major new version with a new name, such as macOS Monterey. Software Update shows only upgrades that are compatible with your Mac.
Software Update preferences

This information is provided in Update macOS on Mac.

When this is complete, please test and report back with the result. 

Cheers.

May 17, 2022 10:40 AM in response to philfrompretoria

philfrompretoria wrote:

Hi Luis,
The SSD is connected via Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) port and was accessible and working fine before the software upgrade from OS Monterey 12.0.1 to 12.3.1
As I mentioned, Finder reads all the folders! Its only certain programs (Adobe Lightroom, Nikon FX, etc.) which see the Lexar SSD drive but doesn't open or read its folders!

As I said before, those programs may need to be given permission.

The Finder obviously has to have access to all files and folders, but other programs may not.

In recent versions of macOS there has been a tightening of security.

If you don't give permission for an application to access folders in your external drive, it will behave the way you describe.

Go to System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy, click "Full Disk Access" and add, say, Lightroom to the list, and test.

Here is how it looks (I don't have Lightroom, so my screenshot is for Final Cut Pro; if I uncheck it or if I remove it, the FCP will not be able to access external drives - same with Lightroom and others):

notice a new update OS Monterey 12.4 is now available. Maybe I should try installing it??

May 17, 2022 9:50 AM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks for your response.

However, my Macbook Pro 16 came with macOS Monterey ver 12.0.1 pre-installed and everything worked fine.

The problem started after installing the latest OS Monterey 12.3.1

When checking for updates now, it returns with my mac is up to date!

That was a minute ago!! When I just checked again, I see there's a new update 12.4 available.

I'm uncertain about upgrading again due to possible new issues??

May 17, 2022 10:07 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

The SSD is connected via Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) port and was accessible and working fine before the software upgrade from OS Monterey 12.0.1 to 12.3.1

As I mentioned, Finder reads all the folders! Its only certain programs (Adobe Lightroom, Nikon FX, etc.) which see the Lexar SSD drive but doesn't open or read its folders!

I notice a new update OS Monterey 12.4 is now available. Maybe I should try installing it??

Upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 - Only Finder sees External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.