Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Stereo Pairs as default audio for AppleTV4K experiencing volume fluctuations while watching content.

It seems that something in a recent update may have changed how stereo pair HomePod setups are handling their audio streams resulting in the audio volume getting suddenly quieter for a few minutes, then jumping back to a louder volume, rinsing and repeating over and over to the point where watching anything is becoming obnoxious. I haven’t changed anything in my set-up and have restored some of the devices, but this issue is affecting all three of the Apple TV 4K with Stereo Paired HomePod (full size and minis) in our home.

The audio problems are happening with content being played on the AppleTV (it’s system-wide, affecting all apps I stream content through). I was thinking it might have something to do with the surround/Atmos options with the Stereo Pair having issues handling the channels correctly, but those options are all completely locked in the settings app, so my ability to troubleshoot is very limited.

I would rather have consistent audio than a surround sound experience, so if there is any way to disable this for video content on the Apple TV + HomePod pairs, that would be great. I welcome any other troubleshooting tips you may have.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 12:31 PM

It's odd that you're getting fluctuations within a single program rather than different levels on different tracks/apps... but try turning on "Sound Check" in your Home settings (it's rather hidden)...

From your iPhone or iPad, open the Home App:

• Tap the little Home icon in the upper left
    • Select "Home Settings"
    • Scroll down to "MEDIA" and turn on the Sound Check switch.

On the ATV4K side, there's an Apple Music app-specific Sound Check switch, and a general Settings > Video and Audio > AUDIO: Reduce Loud Sounds option (designed for loud movie sound effects at night), but try this Home/HomePod Sound Check switch first. According to Apple's HomePod documentation, "The sound check feature keeps the volume level consistent for music and podcasts played from HomePod."

I'm not sure why this is in the Home Settings rather than in the HomePod Settings area, but if this solves your issue on all 3 Apple TVs using various HomePods as default audio, perhaps that's a good reason :-).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 12:31 PM in response to JoCatty

It's odd that you're getting fluctuations within a single program rather than different levels on different tracks/apps... but try turning on "Sound Check" in your Home settings (it's rather hidden)...

From your iPhone or iPad, open the Home App:

• Tap the little Home icon in the upper left
    • Select "Home Settings"
    • Scroll down to "MEDIA" and turn on the Sound Check switch.

On the ATV4K side, there's an Apple Music app-specific Sound Check switch, and a general Settings > Video and Audio > AUDIO: Reduce Loud Sounds option (designed for loud movie sound effects at night), but try this Home/HomePod Sound Check switch first. According to Apple's HomePod documentation, "The sound check feature keeps the volume level consistent for music and podcasts played from HomePod."

I'm not sure why this is in the Home Settings rather than in the HomePod Settings area, but if this solves your issue on all 3 Apple TVs using various HomePods as default audio, perhaps that's a good reason :-).

HomePod Stereo Pairs as default audio for AppleTV4K experiencing volume fluctuations while watching content.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.