Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original HomePod stereo paired to Apple TV volume not in sync

I am experiencing the same issue as this thread (I was unable to reply to the same thread so have to make this new post): HomePod stereo pair will not sync volume - Apple Community

This is on tvOS and audioOS 15.3. I tried restoring my 2nd gen Apple TV 4K and both HomePods and re-established the stereo pair. That seemed to resolve the issue at first, but after the TV powers off or waking the Apple TV from sleep the volume levels are not synced. Pre and post-restores it was the Left speaker in the stereo pair to continue responding to the volume adjustments and the Right speaker would only adjust the volume if you physically tapped the volume buttons on the HomePod.

Stereo pairing with Apple TV is such a welcome feature, and helps me enjoy my Apple TV even more, but it’s incredibly frustrating to encounter this issue. Never had a problem with stereo pairing before. This is anecdotal, but everyone I’ve asked that uses HomePod minis in the pairing have not reported this issue. So maybe it’s just a bug that’s affecting the original HomePods.

HomePod

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 6:50 PM

Hi Duck, I haven't encountered an issue like this with HomePod minis stereo paired. But I completely get the frustration, it is a great function when it works.

It sounds like you've tried the basics: everything is OS up to date(be 100% sure of this). performed a full restart on all 3 devices, completely deleted HomePods from Home and, in effect, performed a fresh install.

The old thread you referenced, it mentioned the good advice of signing out and signing back into your AppleID, confirm everything is signed in under the same AppleID.

I'd suggest these tests when you encounter the issue so it is live troubleshooting testing:

-I saw a thread regarding some odd issues on the OG HomePod with dual band Wifi. I can't find that but it may be worth exploring. What if the HomePods & AppleTV & iPhone are all moved to your 2.4 band instead of 5 (or vice versa)?

-Can you move the HomePods a couple of feet away from than their current spot just for interference testing (don't unplug them, keep the issue going for live testing).

-Turn off everything electronic nearby (lights, everything). If you have an older LED bulb or anything similar on the same circuit (even if the circuit applies to outlets in other rooms) turn them off wheile the issue is happening.

-In AppleTV->Video&Audio there is a Wireless Audio Sync function. Have you given that a try?

-In AppleTV Video&Audio there are settings for Reduce Loud Sounds as well as a couple of others that has AppleTV make algorithmic based changes to the Audio. Toggling these off make any difference?

-What if you turn off the AppleTV then Airplay music from your iPhone. Does the volume control issue issue happen using iPhone as the volume control (is the issue happening everywhere or just with Siri Remote)?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 6:50 PM in response to ducksrfr

Hi Duck, I haven't encountered an issue like this with HomePod minis stereo paired. But I completely get the frustration, it is a great function when it works.

It sounds like you've tried the basics: everything is OS up to date(be 100% sure of this). performed a full restart on all 3 devices, completely deleted HomePods from Home and, in effect, performed a fresh install.

The old thread you referenced, it mentioned the good advice of signing out and signing back into your AppleID, confirm everything is signed in under the same AppleID.

I'd suggest these tests when you encounter the issue so it is live troubleshooting testing:

-I saw a thread regarding some odd issues on the OG HomePod with dual band Wifi. I can't find that but it may be worth exploring. What if the HomePods & AppleTV & iPhone are all moved to your 2.4 band instead of 5 (or vice versa)?

-Can you move the HomePods a couple of feet away from than their current spot just for interference testing (don't unplug them, keep the issue going for live testing).

-Turn off everything electronic nearby (lights, everything). If you have an older LED bulb or anything similar on the same circuit (even if the circuit applies to outlets in other rooms) turn them off wheile the issue is happening.

-In AppleTV->Video&Audio there is a Wireless Audio Sync function. Have you given that a try?

-In AppleTV Video&Audio there are settings for Reduce Loud Sounds as well as a couple of others that has AppleTV make algorithmic based changes to the Audio. Toggling these off make any difference?

-What if you turn off the AppleTV then Airplay music from your iPhone. Does the volume control issue issue happen using iPhone as the volume control (is the issue happening everywhere or just with Siri Remote)?

Feb 22, 2022 11:41 PM in response to Tim_4_All

I suspect it might be a wifi problem - interference or the wifi/router is "too smart" for the OG Homepods. Try temporarily disabling the 5GHz band of your router and also any Smart Connect features to troubleshoot. If it is interference you might need to force the router to use specific channels.

Furthermore I have assigned static IP addresses to my Homepods and ATV and this seems to have eliminated my intermittent problems.

As Tim indicates, these tips seem to vanish from these discussions after a while. I have copied these, and more, tips to my own webpage but I am not allowed to link to them here!

Feb 24, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Tim_4_All

I’m cautiously optimistic that I’ve resolved the issue! I noticed that Siri refused to respond on Apple TV or when invoking Hey Siri with the stereo pair (and Apple TV powered off). The Siri Remote would not respond to Siri, either and the Home app would not display the Siri settings for the HomePods in the stereo pair.

I retraced my troubleshooting steps, and I think I clicked the “Reset” option on Apple TV the first go-round instead of “Reset and Update.” I was already on tvOS 15.3, but I think the latter option is the Restore as New equivalent vs the Erase All Content & Settings equivalent.

Before proceeding with Apple TV setup I ungrouped the stereo pair and removed the accessories from the Home app once more. I then went into my iCloud settings and removed all 3 devices from my “device list.” When I set the HomePods up I waited until the “Configuring” status in the Home app had cleared before proceeding with the second HomePod, and again before proceeding with establishing the stereo pair again.

Finally, I set up Apple TV again and set the stereo pair as the default audio output using the Home app (and not the tvOS interface as I had done before). The volume is staying in sync across multiple days and wakes from sleep.

Long term I’m researching mesh routers, so I will be sure to find one that can create discrete 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz networks. Hopefully that can prevent some issues and help with network speed issues while the stereo pair is connected to Apple TV.

Apr 10, 2022 5:15 PM in response to ducksrfr

I’ve found a consistent solution: disabling Hey Siri functionality on the stereo pair you’re using with Apple TV.

The problem was still plaguing me after fresh restores of tvOS and audioOS 15.4.1 and ensuring my wifi network was 5Ghz only. I noticed that the issue with volume mismatch would occur any time after I invoked “Hey Siri.” The HomePod that would light up and respond to the request would continue to respect the volume controls, the HomePod in the pair that did not respond would no longer keep volume in sync. In practice (throughout multiple restores and testing) this was consistent if the Right HomePod answered Hey Siri first, or if the Left HomePod responded first. The HomePod not processing the Hey Siri request would be the affected HomePod.

I have at least one HomePod in every other room, so this isn’t a huge workaround for me. But it would definitely be annoying as a “fix” if they were your only 2 HomePods.

Original HomePod stereo paired to Apple TV volume not in sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.