Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod loses Apple TV connection

Has anyone found a long term fix to making sure the HomePods play the Apple TV output? Mine keeps breaking.

I have a current gen Apple TV 4K, and the 1st gen HomePods as a stereo pair, and the HomePods very regularly lose their connection as my default Audio output, and it's driving me crazy.

I've tried everything - reboots/restarts of all devices, resets of the homepod, a new Apple TV altogether, signing out of iCloud, and back in. All settings are absolutely correct. Part of me thinks that since the 1st gen HomePod doesn't have the Thread support and other components (which the HomePod mini does), this just isn't going to be reliable.

HomePod, 16

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 6:11 AM

This problem has only gotten worse since the last tvOS and HomePod OS updates. I am running tvOS = 16.3.2 and hpOS = 16.3.2.

The (Gen 1) HomePods (Stereo Pair) are selected as the default audio option. Every few days, the HomePods will stop playing all CONTENT audio. Ex: Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, etc. BUT… if you go back to the Home Screen, all of the Navigation Clicks can still be heard. I’ve restarted the HomePods, restarted the network, reset the HomePods… reset the network… nothing fixes this. For note, I have 2 other TVs in my house with HomePod Minis as the stereo pair and this does not happen to them. Only the Gen 1 HomePods. If this continues I will have to replace them with a Sonos or equivalent, because they are basically unusable in the current state.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Tim Hassett

This problem has only gotten worse since the last tvOS and HomePod OS updates. I am running tvOS = 16.3.2 and hpOS = 16.3.2.

The (Gen 1) HomePods (Stereo Pair) are selected as the default audio option. Every few days, the HomePods will stop playing all CONTENT audio. Ex: Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, etc. BUT… if you go back to the Home Screen, all of the Navigation Clicks can still be heard. I’ve restarted the HomePods, restarted the network, reset the HomePods… reset the network… nothing fixes this. For note, I have 2 other TVs in my house with HomePod Minis as the stereo pair and this does not happen to them. Only the Gen 1 HomePods. If this continues I will have to replace them with a Sonos or equivalent, because they are basically unusable in the current state.

Mar 19, 2023 12:11 AM in response to The.Todd

Gen 1 Homepod had some wifi weaknesses. Try:

a) assigning a static IP address to it in your wifi-router settings

b) manually assigning wifi channels in your router settings (there might be intermittent interference with the ones assigned by the router)

c) try disabling any smart router functions in your router settings - they might confuse the Homepod

You will need to find instructions for your router model to do this.

HomePod loses Apple TV connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.