Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP driver for Office Jet 4500 no longer working on O.S. 12 Monterey

I have an older printer which still in good condition, but the driver no longer works after updating to Mac Monterey. Does anyone know a way around this? I tried downloading a new driver and it won't install. I hate to buy a new printer if I don't have to. Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 6:09 PM

Hi,

There is an HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update download from Apple. The System Requirements say Not compatible with macOS v12 and newer. A number of HP Officejet 4500 versions (using a driver 3.3.2) are mentioned in the no longer updated article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. There have been a few reports about use of this download even under macOS 12 Monterey (for other models), but that would be entirely experimental in this case. It may not work at all, and an installation may be impossible. If you decide to test anything, make sure that backup copies of all important files (such as documents, photos, et cetera) have been made. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 6:09 PM in response to mojavemoon

Hi,

There is an HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update download from Apple. The System Requirements say Not compatible with macOS v12 and newer. A number of HP Officejet 4500 versions (using a driver 3.3.2) are mentioned in the no longer updated article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. There have been a few reports about use of this download even under macOS 12 Monterey (for other models), but that would be entirely experimental in this case. It may not work at all, and an installation may be impossible. If you decide to test anything, make sure that backup copies of all important files (such as documents, photos, et cetera) have been made. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Mar 3, 2022 5:58 AM in response to mojavemoon

mojavemoon wrote:

I have an older printer which still in good condition, but the driver no longer works after updating to Mac Monterey. Does anyone know a way around this? I tried downloading a new driver and it won't install. I hate to buy a new printer if I don't have to. Thank you.

Solve printing problems on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/solve-printing-problems-on-mac-mh14002/mac

HP driver for Office Jet 4500 no longer working on O.S. 12 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.