Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Illustrator files (.ai) and InDesign files (.indd) appearing as Word files in Finder 'Kind'

My Illustrator files (.ai) and InDesign files (.indd) are appearing as Word Files (under 'Kind') in Finder - I can't open .ai or .indd file inside an application, without going into Finder and changing the file Kind. I have thousands of files this has happened to. How do I mass change all the .ai and .indd files to their correct kind (not Word!). All files are saved in iCloud.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 11:24 PM

3 replies

Mar 14, 2022 3:47 PM in response to Ayvajack

Please see attached Screenshot.

I have tried the instructions above - however the 'Open With' section in Get Info in Finder is already correct, for my InDesign (.indd) and Illustrator (.ai) files.

However in Finder under Kind these files are all listed as Word files.

I can only open them by going into Finder, selecting the file via 'Open With' and then choosing InDesign - even though the Get Info already says to open with InDesign (although it is always greyed out). I can't open the files inside the InDesign or Illustrator programs directly as they say they are Word files.

Illustrator files (.ai) and InDesign files (.indd) appearing as Word files in Finder 'Kind'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.