Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Provisioning profiles not visible after restore

Hi there,

we have a big issue in our IT environment.

In our main country, germany, we have DEP devices. This devices have no issues after a restore.

We can setup new DEP-devices with our MDM solution and the device get a new profile enrollment.

But in our foreign sites, we don't have DEP. Our colleagues make a backup of the old device and restore this to the new device. Users have to go to a special website via Safari and download a new device profile. When this profile is installed, the message "Profile cannot be loaded." comes up. However, if you delete the device profile from the old device before the backup, there are no problems.

How do we get the invisible profile from the affected devices?

Unfortunately for us, the problems in this case are piling up in our IT.

We need urgent help here.

Thanks already in advance.

best regards,

Nicolas

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 7:22 AM

This is a known limitation. You cannot reuse a device profile on a new device (even for the same user). You will need to make the backup without the profile and then connect and download the new profile.

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 3, 2022 7:32 AM in response to celliott147

I really like the user experience and simplicity of Apple devices, but why doesn't a backup delete the profile on its own? That only brings problems with it... :-( and now I have to explain this problem to more than 200 colleagues. I'm sure they will be not happy that they have to reset their devices and no longer have a backup of their data.

Thanks for your respone!

Mar 4, 2022 2:14 AM in response to celliott147

Yes, I unterstand this. But why is the MDM profile not delete before backup automatically?

Now we a impacts for many users and non of them can load the new profile because the old profile is stuck in the background.

I don't want to have the profile in the backup. After restore it is not there either.

I just want to have a new generated MDM profile after a backup, but it's not possible.

I tried to check via xcode if a provisioning profile is still recognized here, but even there none is to be found.

In my opinion, this is a real problem in business/enterprise environments and apple could solve this better.

Mar 4, 2022 8:09 AM in response to niiggo_exe

Because it could corrupt the backup or leave the device in an unmanaged state. You will need to unmanage the device, create the backup, and then manage the device.

I can tell you that I would be livid if they changed this because it would make my job infinitely harder. Can you imagine thousands of devices that could be unmanaged with business data intact? Changing this would simply allow a device to be wiped and free with all that data. Hard no here.

Provisioning profiles not visible after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.