You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro Max camera out of focus when a face is detected.

The native camera app (lens at 1x) on my iPhone 13 Pro Max immediately goes out of focus when a face is detected in the frame, and refuses to get into focus regardless of tapping on the screen.

it will focus fine when no face is in the frame, but as soon as I pan my camera towards a face, the phone detects it (yellow box appears around face) and it goes out of focus.

i feel like i’ve done everything to fix the glitch - toggle auto macro on/off, toggle lens correction, toggle format (most compatible/high efficiency), toggle prioritise faster shooting, a hard reset, soft reset, restarting the phone, and as of this morning’s last resort: reset to factory settings, and still the problem is there.

am i the only one experiencing this? Or am i missing an easy fix? Thanks in advanced.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 7:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 1:41 PM

First try a Forced restart

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

If no better

Backup, restore to factory, and restore from backup

If you can import your media to Photos or iTunes in a computer and copy important documents to a cloud server it will give you some resilience in case the restore from backup fails.

(1)   How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2)   Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3)   Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the problem remains then arrange a repair

iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 3, 2022 1:41 PM in response to Fai_zabady

First try a Forced restart

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

If no better

Backup, restore to factory, and restore from backup

If you can import your media to Photos or iTunes in a computer and copy important documents to a cloud server it will give you some resilience in case the restore from backup fails.

(1)   How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2)   Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3)   Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the problem remains then arrange a repair

iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

iPhone 13 Pro Max camera out of focus when a face is detected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.