Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro freezes when external monitor connected

MacBook Pro 2021 freezes when external monitor connected via hdmi. The work on the second monitor is freezing when it's connected to the laptop. Any advice?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 12:36 AM

I'm having the same issue with my 2021 macbook (M1Pro). All apps i've tested so far on the second monitor (in my case an LG UltraGear 34N76A) becomes randomly unresponding (frozen and no interactions are possible anymore for a few seconds).

During theses "freeze" moments, it's sometimes not possible to bring back the cursor on the mackbook's intergrated display.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 12:36 AM in response to tinehack

I'm having the same issue with my 2021 macbook (M1Pro). All apps i've tested so far on the second monitor (in my case an LG UltraGear 34N76A) becomes randomly unresponding (frozen and no interactions are possible anymore for a few seconds).

During theses "freeze" moments, it's sometimes not possible to bring back the cursor on the mackbook's intergrated display.

Apr 22, 2022 9:18 AM in response to tinehack

I'm having this same problem, just in the past few days, with an external original Cinema display with its original adapter (DVI?) plus a USB-C to DVI adapter. This worked fine previously, though I'd occasionally have to crack open the MacBook lid and then close it again to wake up the monitor; now when I close the lid it completely freezes the external monitor (static image not responding to mouse or keyboard input) until I open the lid again, when all is normal.

Apr 15, 2022 12:01 PM in response to my ginger

I am also having a similar issue. The windows freeze on occasion, and makes work unusable. It seems to display just fine, but scrolling through a webpage becomes extremely laggy. I have a USB C to Display Port adapter, with an older Apple Cinema Display. It’s unusable except to display static windows. But I can drag them back to the 14” display and interact normally.

MacBook Pro freezes when external monitor connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.