Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts getting bypassed?

Morning. First time I've used this service, so please bear with me. I am also not that great at tech. I have a small number of contacts logged on my iPhone 12. When I send a text, receive a text or receive a call, the number simply appears, not the name. It was ok for ages, but seems to have gone awry after the last official update. The numbers also now have +44 in front of them which they never used to and also, in contacts, now have an odd spacing, so xx xxx xx xx xx, when, previously, the code and number appeared separately. I have been onto google and tried a) device on/off, b) removed dial assist and c) checked in iCloud that the messages toggle is on (and I have also tried that on/off). I do not use my 'phone for e-mail.

If anyone is able to help, please, I would be very grateful.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 3:02 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2022 3:36 AM in response to Fletcherdo

The phone numbers must be in the format as below

without the leading zero,

Change a couple and see if itakes a difference.

Also see this lengthy process if your contacts are in iCloud or in your chosen email account

(You might want to back up the phone first, and if your contacts are phone only you have no remedy other than edit all your contacts)

Close Messages app. then for

Contacts in iCloud:

Settings, Your name, iCloud, Turn off contacts

Contacts in another email account

Settings, Contacts, Accounts

Find the account with Contacts turned on. Turn contacts off  

When asked if you want to keep them, choose “delete from my iphone ”

Open Contacts app and it should be empty.

Power the phone off and back on.

Then

Contacts in iCloud:

Settings, Your name, iCloud, Contacts. Turn it On

Contacts in another email account

Settings, Contacts, Accounts

Find the account with the Contacts again. Turn contacts On

Open Contacts app and it should be re-populated.

Then try messages or phone again. 

Mar 4, 2022 6:56 AM in response to LD150

Thanks a lot for this response, LD150. Before I start going into the Cloud etc, I think there may be something wrong in contacts, in so far as any new contacts I create format themselves thus: 07 775 34 56 78. Instead of 07775 345678, which they always used to. Any ideas at all, please? Thanks again for responding and all the best. Fletcherdo.

Contacts getting bypassed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.