Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I keep cellular roaming on all the time?

Should I keep cellular roaming on all the time for better coverage in a rural area?

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 7:36 AM

Hi,

Data Roaming is actually made for traveling outside your country.

If you’re in your country, enabling data roaming or not won’t change anything for coverage.

When you’re not in your country, it also doesn’t change your cellular plan coverage - it just activates your cellular data abroad.

Learn more here: About cellular data roaming options for your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 7:36 AM in response to Speedingbullett

Hi,

Data Roaming is actually made for traveling outside your country.

If you’re in your country, enabling data roaming or not won’t change anything for coverage.

When you’re not in your country, it also doesn’t change your cellular plan coverage - it just activates your cellular data abroad.

Learn more here: About cellular data roaming options for your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2022 7:42 AM in response to Speedingbullett

Remi_202DC has the right of it. Most of the time it doesn’t matter. Where it matters is if you are traveling outside of your country. And another, less obvious reason to turn it off is if you travel near an international border but within your country, where it might pick up towers across the border. US examples, if you don’t have Canada or Mexico coverage in your plan: Southern Arizona, Texas or California near the border with Mexico, Washington State, near the Canadian border, etc.

Should I keep cellular roaming on all the time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.