Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot contact reCAPTCHA. Check your connection and try again

I realise this is strictly a Google issue, but i've given up attempting to get any support there.

This is been going on for over a month - I can't even access my bank because it uses it. 95% of the sites I need to log into on a regular basis use reCAPTCHA. Tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome (the latter in the mistaken belief I'd have more luck with a Google browser). Thought that the latest macOS update might fix whatever it is that was broken (HA!). I need to access my bank. It can't help ("Nothing wrong this end. Have you tried restarting your computer...?").

Even tried creating a new user. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with my connection, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my settings, either. Sites have been whitelisted. I'm out of ideas now. Help!

macOS 12.2.1

M1 Max

64GB

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:05 PM

Test while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If it works in Safe Mode you have something installed causing the problem; antivirus, VPN, firewall apps, etc.

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 5, 2022 3:08 AM in response to NoctuaAthene

Hi NoctuaAthene

In addition to the advice given by dialbrain to try a Safe-Mode boot with the Mac, if you are accessing the internet over a home router, fibre or broadband connection, then reboot your router.

Your router is automatically assigned a DNS server at boot and that will persist until the router is powered off-on. From time-to-time your ISP may switch to a backup DNS server that may not have the correct address for reCAPTURE. Also, your router probably has it’s own built-in firewall that may have logged communication with reCAPTURE as suspicious and blocked the connection.

Finally, reCAPTURE’s own server may be blocking your routers WAN i.p. address, rebooting the router will in most cases assign a new WAN i.p. address, unless you have requested a static address, or your ISP uses static WAN addresses by default.

Will.

Mar 7, 2022 6:17 PM in response to NoctuaAthene

I have a Mac Mini, M1 chip, about 1 year old. Running OS 12.1. I have always had the issue w/ reCAPTCHA - I cannot log into any website that uses it (never have been since the computer was brand new). I've even re-installed MacOS.

In Safe Mode, the problem continues (hence the re-install); however, the problem continues.

I do not have any extensions like ad blockers running, like Phillips suggested.

A broader search seems like this is common w/ M1 equipped macs, probably only affecting some users, but I can't seem to find any solution that works for me. It works fine on my 3-year old MacBook and my iPad - it's just the M1 mac Mini that's the problem.

Mar 8, 2022 2:25 AM in response to dialabrain

Nope. No VPN, no AV, no 'cleaners', no 3rd-party anything. I have changed nothing on this computer (only 2 months old) since I bought it. The only things I've installed since purchase are Office365, Firefox, Chrome, and a couple of games, nothing that would interfere with 'net settings.

I didn't think about safe mode. I'll see what happens.

Mar 8, 2022 2:31 AM in response to PRP_53

Whitelisting doesn't seem to help me. This is a newer M1, bought in January this year. I'm pretty certain that it's not always been the case, but I also know that I've definitely not installed anything. that would break it. I still have my old 2016 Touch Bar (one of the ones with the frustrating keyboard). I'll dig that out and see if it works on that. As I said in my OP, the problem was definitely there before I updated macOS, so it's not like 12.2.1 broke anything.

Mar 8, 2022 2:39 AM in response to Will_G_Astro

I'm using my phone as a hotspot (I was generously gifted unlimited data by my mum), as it's the only way I can get online here (technically there's wifi but it's worse than useless). Rebooting phone doesn't help. Like I said, I'm not using a router (not to go into my situation too much, but I'm basically homeless).

If I can access it via my old MBP (2016 Touch Bar, still running whatever the last version of Big Sur was), then I'll have to assume there's summat about M1 Macs that reCAPTCHA refuses to play ball with.

Hmm... wonder if there's owt on Mac Rumours...?

Mar 8, 2022 2:57 AM in response to NoctuaAthene

Is it possible the implementation of reCAPTCHA by the Bank is the cause ?

As you have mentioned " Tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome " and still the issue remains.

I did have an issue with my Mobile Phone Carrier and eventually after several live phone calls to them, something on their end was changed - presto no issue since then.

Cannot contact reCAPTCHA. Check your connection and try again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.