Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro, shows it's connected to wifi, but has no Internet connection... Can anyone help?

I bought a lovely new MacBook. I used the transfer utility to transfer everything from my old Mac. Before I transferred over, new Mac connected to the internet and worked fine. After transfer of files etc, it will NOT (😡😡) connect to internet - although the wifi icon show it is 'connected'.

I wondered if it was something to do with Norton, so I uninstalled it from my new Mac... Didn’t help 😤

So, I decided to reset my new Mac and start over, BUT!! Because my new Mac was logged into my Apple ID, and because Mac wants me to log out of Apple cloud before resetting to factory - I can’t do it - because it’s trying to connect to cloud to disconnect 😭😭😭😭

So frustrating. I have other devises that connect fine (inc my old Mac), same situation when I try on wifi at my friends house.

I would be so grateful for any help

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 7:56 AM

launch a Browser and enter this in the address window:

if you get the CloudFlare splash page*, your internet connection is working, but you have sidestepped Domain Name Server (DNS). This is what looks up alphabetic domain-names into numeric IP addresses for making the connection, rather like an "Internet Phone Book".

If you manually entered ANYTHING including the wrong abviously wrong 0.0.0.0 into the DNS fields in

system preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) > DNS

... that is what will be used, even if it is wrong. To use the numbers provided by your ISP, clear all those fields, close the window and save changes, then either turn Wi-Fi off and back on or use the :

system preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) > TCP/IP > (Renew DHCP lease)

if you go to the TCP/IP pane, check to see that IPv6 is set to "link-Local Only"

*CloudFlare is not part of this solution. They just have the easiest-to-remember numeric IP address that is answered with a web page.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 7:56 AM in response to AnnElf

launch a Browser and enter this in the address window:

if you get the CloudFlare splash page*, your internet connection is working, but you have sidestepped Domain Name Server (DNS). This is what looks up alphabetic domain-names into numeric IP addresses for making the connection, rather like an "Internet Phone Book".

If you manually entered ANYTHING including the wrong abviously wrong 0.0.0.0 into the DNS fields in

system preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) > DNS

... that is what will be used, even if it is wrong. To use the numbers provided by your ISP, clear all those fields, close the window and save changes, then either turn Wi-Fi off and back on or use the :

system preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) > TCP/IP > (Renew DHCP lease)

if you go to the TCP/IP pane, check to see that IPv6 is set to "link-Local Only"

*CloudFlare is not part of this solution. They just have the easiest-to-remember numeric IP address that is answered with a web page.

New MacBook Pro, shows it's connected to wifi, but has no Internet connection... Can anyone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.