Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop arrangement lost after waking from sleep

MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 / MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Pro

I have two additional monitors (BenQ PD2725U Displays) and the multiple display setup works fine.

On display #3 there are three "Desktops" each devoted to a different app.

After the system wakes from sleep, the Desktops from #3 all switch to display #2, and all the application windows on display #3 migrate to display #1.

It's disruptive and time-wasting to have to re-set my workflow configuration every time. I've resorted to disabling all the energy saving features. Can anyone recommend a fix?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 11:49 PM

I just got the new Macbook Pro M1 MAX and this is so ANNOYING. Every time I turn my computer on or wake it up, reboot it, whatever all my screens have a mind of their own and swap around on my desktops and screens and randomly too. Sometimes they split up on the same monitor but different desktops. Sometimes they mostly go to the other monitor. Then at times just 1 or 2 are randomly off...

This has NEVER happened before to me in all the years using MAC. It's one of the Magic things Apple does that Windows will never do. Re-open windows EXACTLY where they were. How is this not getting fixed???

Crazy!!! Takes so much time every time I wake my MacBook Pro M1 MAX and have to re-org my screens.

PLEASE FIX

Similar questions

121 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 11:49 PM in response to tomgiebel

I just got the new Macbook Pro M1 MAX and this is so ANNOYING. Every time I turn my computer on or wake it up, reboot it, whatever all my screens have a mind of their own and swap around on my desktops and screens and randomly too. Sometimes they split up on the same monitor but different desktops. Sometimes they mostly go to the other monitor. Then at times just 1 or 2 are randomly off...

This has NEVER happened before to me in all the years using MAC. It's one of the Magic things Apple does that Windows will never do. Re-open windows EXACTLY where they were. How is this not getting fixed???

Crazy!!! Takes so much time every time I wake my MacBook Pro M1 MAX and have to re-org my screens.

PLEASE FIX

Jun 17, 2022 10:00 PM in response to pixpi

Then the problem in the macOS is that it doesn't re-arrange when the "new" monitor comes back into display. The previous arrangement when that monitor was on must be remembered. And when that monitor comes back to display, that arrangement must be applied. Otherwise it is quite annoying when displays swap making unable to draw the mouse pointer across and worse when direction (horizontal/vertical) was getting messed up due to this issue.

We have been struggling with this issue for decades and still unable to see light -- its so much a critical issue that needs fixing. Removing plugs and replacing or having different monitors isn't the answer. This definitely has a software/OS level fix to it.

1. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/367259/dual-identical-monitors-swap-settings-after-displays-turn-off
  2. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-displays-swapping-arrangement-not-remembered.2320211/
  3. Much google results: apple monitors swap after sleep

Sep 17, 2022 6:05 PM in response to fmarquez

I had a long call with Apple Support yesterday. They recommended un-checking the "Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use" (Number 1 below) and checking the "Displays have separate Spaces" (Number 2 below) under the Mission Control in the System Preferences.

Below is a screenshot of what I've done by following their advise.

See if this solution helps any of you?

Few hours passed and so far its steadily holding up.

Sep 17, 2022 6:30 PM in response to madu007

Today I couldn't tolerate my fancy Studio Ultra with two Studio displays messing up my open Finder window after every time it wakes from sleep. Not only do I have to move it back to my secondary display, but the Finder window frequently gets really messed up and I can't even open any of my documents without restarting. So I turned off sleeping altogether and just let it turn the screens off after 15 minutes. Now everything stays put and Finder is OK. That also solves the other problem about it NOT going to sleep as expected because some little process like Adobe Creative Cloud is doing something in the background.

You'd expect a brand new $10K 100% Apple set up to not have stupid problems like this lingering on and on for years.

Mar 5, 2022 10:59 AM in response to tomgiebel

It could be that #3 takes a bit longer to wake from sleep, and since it initially isn't detected (asleep) the open windows shift to other displays that are sensed. You could try disabling sleep on just #3 to see if that helps, as if it is always on it won't experience that delay.

You could also revisit the cabling arrangement, which display uses which cable or goes through a dock or hub. That can also affect the order of waking up.

Apr 19, 2022 2:08 AM in response to tomgiebel

I have the exact same problem. MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro. I previously had the MacBook Pro 2015 15". I have a Samsung G9 49" monitor using a split screen config, which I was using with my old MacBook with zero issues.

Every time now, whether from a fresh reboot or wake, I have issues with the display arrangement switching around and apps moving to a different screen and I also find it extremely annoying.

I wish I had known about this issue before I upgraded because there was nothing wrong with my old MacBook I just wanted to benefit from the 'amazing' M1 chip.

I might have to make use of the 30-day return if I can't get a solution to this before then. It's been 2 weeks of the same frustration.

Aug 20, 2022 7:58 AM in response to tomgiebel

I've had this problem for years with pre-M1 Macbooks and shockingly the M1's have still not fixed the problem. They likely never will since it's a 3rd party hardware issue with the timing of the external monitors waking separately from the CPU waking back up. But fortunately I found a great application a while back that works almost perfectly called Stay.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stay/id435410196?mt=12

You can store window layouts across all applications or with only certain applications from the toolbar and set it to automatically restore window layouts on wake. If you're like me an d have a number of different spaces set up with relatively consistent layout needs this sets all of my spaces exactly how I want on every wake. If you're changing your layouts often you'll have to remember to hit the "Store Windows" action from the toolbar before putting to sleep, but it only takes a second. It's $15 which isn't ideal but I've been using it for years and the frustration it's saved me has been well worth the price.

Apr 11, 2022 4:10 PM in response to steve626

doubt this is "the solution" (what solution?? not-my-problem ≄ answer). I've had this problem for years and two MBP, including my latest M1 Pro and prior OS versions. For me, this occurs when I have set a display resolution that is not the default. It results in all displays ( have two additional) being mirrored and back to default resolution.

Apple - what is the fix?

Jul 20, 2022 4:40 AM in response to Blazejos

Looks like I have a fix, after 1h call with support and some experimenting.

Step 1: create different local user and check if problem occurs again. For me, it didn't.

Option with new user is nor really good for me, as it means another onboarding process with my corporate, means new device ID, certificates, blahblah.

Step 2: shut down Mac, ten tap and hold power button for Startup options, choose options -> disk utility, and check Macintosh HD for errors -> "health check". For me, it didn't find anything.

Step 3: (being logged into your user) Finder -> Go-> Library -> LaunchAgents, delete everything inside, not the folder itself.

Step 4: go to Macintosh HD -> Library -> LaunchDaemons, delete everything inside, not the folder itself.

Restart Mac.

Now sleeping and waking, unplugging and plugging back - all app windows are back where I left off. Finally.

Mar 5, 2022 10:54 AM in response to tomgiebel

tomgiebel wrote:

MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 / MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Pro

I have two additional monitors (BenQ PD2725U Displays) and the multiple display setup works fine.
On display #3 there are three "Desktops" each devoted to a different app.

After the system wakes from sleep, the Desktops from #3 all switch to display #2, and all the application windows on display #3 migrate to display #1.

It's disruptive and time-wasting to have to re-set my workflow configuration every time. I've resorted to disabling all the energy saving features. Can anyone recommend a fix?

you can submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 5, 2023 1:35 PM in response to raffetazarius

raffetazarius wrote:

And before anyone suggests it, I shall graciously decline either (a) creating a new user, (b) reinstalling MacOS, or (c) trying safe mode, since these are time-wasting exercises that detract from the underlying issue of a bug existing in MacOS.

Right?

I kinda get why this is insisted upon to a) eliminate variables, and b) for more beginner users... but it's annoying too.

As someone who considers myself a more "advanced" user, I've never had to contact Apple Support for anything other than things which I consider fundamental bugs/quirks/mistakes in the OS or default apps. And, they always have turned out to be exactly that: I don't think I've ever had an issue of this nature that has been fixed by any of those three "solutions", and many issues I've had (like this one) have lingered across major OS updates, and even occurred on brand new machines.

One issue, which is still ongoing, but I have pretty much given up on, has been ongoing for over two years... I reached the highest level I could with Apple Support, and still it's ongoing with a brand new computer with a fresh OS install.

Did you see my post above?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253718328?answerId=258464408022#258464408022

Aug 26, 2022 12:02 PM in response to tomgiebel

My experience is intermittent. If the monitors wake quickly enough it tends to not occur.

My setup:

• M1 MacBook Pro 16"
  • 1x CalDigit TS3 Plus - Thunderbolt 3 Dock
  • 2x LG 27" 4K monitors Model: 27UD88-W - Both operating at standard 4K resolution. Both are configured to not put themselves into power-saving modes.
    • 1 via USB-C HDMI adapter (I had previously attempted to drive via USB-C but it didn't work reliably)
    • 1 via DisplayPort.
  • Mission Control is enabled.

The monitor attached via DisplayPort is also the primary - hosting the dock. Its spaces never get rearranged.

Typically what I see occurring is that the Mission Control Desktops from the HDMI-attached monitor are moved to the MacBook's Display and the spaces from the MacBook display are moved to the HDMI-attached monitor. Additionally, all the Chrome windows on both displays and all the VS Code windows on either of those two displays are dispersed often at random. Sometimes they'll be moved to the Primary DisplayPort-attached monitor in a random Desktop. Sometimes they'll be all on the MacBook Display. Sometimes they'll be on the HDMI-attached monitor.

I have 12 total Desktops in Mission Control. They are distributed as such:

• 5 on the HDMI-Attached Monitor
  • 5 on the DisplayPort-Attached Monitor
  • 2 on the MacBook's Display

Since the 5 on the DisplayPort monitor are 1-5 they don't ever seem to be affected.

---

Note, I also have issues with a Blue Yeti microphone connected to this M1 Mac and I don't have issues with that device on any other computers. (even connected via the same USB Switch) It just randomly cuts out meanwhile a 4K camera operating through the same USB device continues to operate fine.

Personally, I believe there are issues with the Thunderbolt bus on these M1 MBPs.

Desktop arrangement lost after waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.