Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility in Big Sur doesn't allow APFS or GUID options for Samsung T7

I recently acquired a Samsung T7 to use as external storage on a MacBook Pro (2017) running Big Sur. I tried to format it, but Disk Utility only showed me limited options. (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled), ExFAT, and FAT. No APFS, no GUID options.

I have another T7 that is used for Time Machine backup on the same MacBook and had no trouble formatting it to Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled).

I tried first formatting the new T7 to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then relaunching Disk Utility, but didn't see any change. I tried the Edit -> Convert to APFS option, but it fails because the disk doesn't use GUID (because it wasn't an option.) First Aid finds no problems with the drive. Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 7:57 AM

You likely have the wrong entry highlighted.

First, change Disk Utility's view to Show All Devices.

Next, highlight the physical drive name as I did here with a USB drive. Not the logical partition name below it.

From there, when you click Erase, you'll have the Scheme pull down menu to choose GUID.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 7:57 AM in response to sbe

You likely have the wrong entry highlighted.

First, change Disk Utility's view to Show All Devices.

Next, highlight the physical drive name as I did here with a USB drive. Not the logical partition name below it.

From there, when you click Erase, you'll have the Scheme pull down menu to choose GUID.

Disk Utility in Big Sur doesn't allow APFS or GUID options for Samsung T7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.