Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts on my iMac disappeared == so now they are also gone from my phone

I have an iMac [Mojave] and iPhone [12ProMax] - I was working on my iMac and did a backup of Contacts to ABBU file [fortunately] then cleared it out and did some other work and then reimported the ABBU file == it stayed there but then I noticed Contacts were totally missing from my iPhone [the app was there but all 400+ contacts were gone other than about 5-6 recent ones] and then I looked into All Contacts on my iMac and it is totally blank, other than 2 I recently used.

So I restarted and then imported the ABBU file again == did some work and then poof! contacts disappeared entirely other than those 2 recently used.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 10:20 AM

Hi Victoria Herring,

If your contacts were staying up-to-date with iCloud on both your iMac and iPhone 12 Pro Max, then the steps below may help:

1. "On iCloud.com, go to Account Settings, then click Restore Contacts in the Advanced section.
  2. Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
  3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
  4. There may be more versions than can be displayed. Scroll to see them all.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. During the restore process, any changes you make aren’t saved.

The restored contacts and contact groups appear on all your devices that have Contacts turned on in iCloud settings."

Those steps are from this article: Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Victoria Herring

Hi Victoria Herring,

If your contacts were staying up-to-date with iCloud on both your iMac and iPhone 12 Pro Max, then the steps below may help:

1. "On iCloud.com, go to Account Settings, then click Restore Contacts in the Advanced section.
  2. Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
  3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
  4. There may be more versions than can be displayed. Scroll to see them all.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. During the restore process, any changes you make aren’t saved.

The restored contacts and contact groups appear on all your devices that have Contacts turned on in iCloud settings."

Those steps are from this article: Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

Contacts on my iMac disappeared == so now they are also gone from my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.