Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Contacts

I recently bought a Mac Mini M1. I am a convert from Windows. Somehow a portion of my contacts disappeared. The contact list is now the same on my Mac and my iPhone 13. I'm running Ventuta and 16.2 on my phone. iCloud seems to be the same. Where have my missing contacts gone to and can I go back in time to a previous backup?

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 2:26 PM

Hello Bsteph5900,

Let's check to see if you are syncing your contacts with multiple accounts. In the Contacts app on your Mac, choose Contacts > Settings, then click Accounts. You can also compare that list to any accounts you had set up on your prior Windows PC.

You'll also want to make sure that the Show Lists option is enabled under View menu at the top of your screen while in the Contacts app. That can help to make sure those contacts are under a different list.

If those contacts were synced using iCloud previously, you can also restore your contacts via the iCloud website using the steps below:

1. On iCloud.com, click the App Launcher button in the toolbar, then click Data Recovery.
2. Click Restore Contacts.
Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
There may be more versions than can be displayed. Scroll to see them all.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. During the restore process, any changes you make aren’t saved.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Hopefully those steps and resources put you on the path to reinstating those contacts on your new Mac.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2023 2:26 PM in response to Bsteph5900

Hello Bsteph5900,

Let's check to see if you are syncing your contacts with multiple accounts. In the Contacts app on your Mac, choose Contacts > Settings, then click Accounts. You can also compare that list to any accounts you had set up on your prior Windows PC.

You'll also want to make sure that the Show Lists option is enabled under View menu at the top of your screen while in the Contacts app. That can help to make sure those contacts are under a different list.

If those contacts were synced using iCloud previously, you can also restore your contacts via the iCloud website using the steps below:

1. On iCloud.com, click the App Launcher button in the toolbar, then click Data Recovery.
2. Click Restore Contacts.
Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
There may be more versions than can be displayed. Scroll to see them all.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. During the restore process, any changes you make aren’t saved.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Hopefully those steps and resources put you on the path to reinstating those contacts on your new Mac.

Take care.

Missing Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.