Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect a Mac Mini M1 2020 with a Dell U3011 Monitor?

I think it has an HDMI plug of some sort (the larger kind) which I currently connect to a display port with my laptop, but I need the best way to get full resolution and ease of function in terms of a cord.

What cord or adapter do I get>

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 10:57 PM

13 replies

Mar 7, 2022 10:59 AM in response to techsploited

That’s not correct. The Dell’s HDMI port is physically the same size and type as the mini. You’re probably confusing the DisplayPort port for HDMI. Identify your HDMI port as shown here

Use a cable that looks like this

As for USB, it’s supported for hub functions. Connect the Dell’s upstream USB port to the mini’s USB A port using the cable that came with the monitor, or a USB B to USB A cable. Good luck!

Mar 7, 2022 10:25 AM in response to hcsitas

What is "standard"? The HDMI on my monitor cable is larger than the port. So I need an adapter which will connect from this larger HDMI port's plug to the smaller HDMI port on the Mac Mini.

"HDMI uses five main connector types: Type A, B, C, D, and E, each for different applications - these include the standard connector as well as the mini-HDMI and micro-HDMI."

And can I use USB-2 as well (because I read I can not get full resolution with an HDMI cable connected to a Mac Mini (although that may be in the past)

It is very confusing!

Mar 10, 2022 2:29 PM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas wrote:

As for USB, it’s supported for hub functions. Connect the Dell’s upstream USB port to the mini’s USB A port using the cable that came with the monitor, or a USB B to USB A cable. Good luck!

What do you mean "it's supported for hub functions."?

With a Dell monitor (or others), do you need to connect BOTH an HDMI and a USB A to B cable? Does the Mini always require two cables to connect a monitor? I'm considering a Mac mini and it would help me understand. Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.