Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to external monitor

What cable do I use to connect a MacBook Air M1 2020 to an external monitor with an HDMI port?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 5:08 PM

5 replies

Mar 16, 2021 10:24 AM in response to abphillips

Hi abphillips,

It sounds like you're looking to connect to an external monitor to your MacBook Air M1. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some assistance.

According to MacBook Air (M1, 2020) - Technical Specifications your computer has two Thunderbolt / USB 4 or USB-C ports. So you will need a USB-C to HDMI cable or a similar dock.

This CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock in the Apple Store will likely work, depending on your monitor specifications, or you can look for another cable or dock that will work for you. You'll want to review the technical specifications above to make sure that the accessory will work for your needs and with your monitor.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Mar 17, 2021 3:17 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for the response. The new MacBook Air replaced an early 2014 MacBook. I connected it to an Acer monitor with an HDMI to Thunderbolt 2 cable. I bought a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter but am not able to connect to the monitor. There isn't an issue with the cable or monitor because I'm able to connect the 2014 MacBook with no issues. I've checked the connections, removed the cable from the adapter, shut down but haven't been able to resolve. Thanks for your help.

Connect to external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.