Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail on Mac - ghost addresses

While addressing outgoing emails, sometime addresses that where previously deleted from my Contacts list pop up in the TO or Cc, or Bcc lines.

I have to check the addresses very carefully before dispatching each email, lest it will go to the wrong address.

How can this happen?

How can I stop it? 

Tks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 6:23 AM

9 replies

Mar 8, 2022 7:53 AM in response to avrahamfromherzliya

Those “ghosts” appear after typing the first 2-3 letters of certain email addresses. I did find a minor "ghost" in the Previous Recipients list, but not the two MAJOR culprits, which trouble me most. I say “major” because of the relatively heavy traffic I conduct with the addresses they interfere with.

Those two “ghosts” do not exist in my Contacts list, nor in the Previous Recipients list.

Then, in a moment of enlightenment, I thought of Blocked Contacts. I deleted the contents of Blocked Contacts box (that contained abt 400 items) and those “ghost” have disappeared. Apparently they were triggered by blocked addresses.

I now wonder if that was a smart thing to do.

I fear that an empty Blocked Contacts Mailbox will mean a flood of junk mail.

I can of course reverse the situation by importing  back the Blocked Contacts Box from my backup external disk.

What do you suggest?

Tks.

Mail on Mac - ghost addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.