Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a background on text pasted into Stickies?

I'm taking notes from e-mails and making them as Stickies, like reference cards. But when I copy & paste from an e-mail or webpage into a Stickies window, it gives the text a highlight of white that I cannot remove.

I've seen other people post "oh just paste it into a Word doc, Text Edit, etc then copy/paste it into your Stickies". No, I should be able to copy & paste into Stickies without an extra step in a different application that I may or may not have (or want to pay for like Word). If I wanted to make something in Text Edit, Notes, or Word in the first place, I would have. But I want a Stickie note.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 11:55 AM

Sorry, I should have realized this early, and I was not paying due attention to the previous posts.

In the Finder, do Edit->Show Clipboard and notice what is written at the bottom: in some cases it says

Clipboard Contents: rich text (RTF)

In other cases, it says

Clipboard Contents: text

So if the source is rich text, it will include whatever format there is.

The solution, though, is easy.

Use Paste and Match Style (the shortcut is Command-Shift-Option-V).

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 11:55 AM in response to shilohspider

Sorry, I should have realized this early, and I was not paying due attention to the previous posts.

In the Finder, do Edit->Show Clipboard and notice what is written at the bottom: in some cases it says

Clipboard Contents: rich text (RTF)

In other cases, it says

Clipboard Contents: text

So if the source is rich text, it will include whatever format there is.

The solution, though, is easy.

Use Paste and Match Style (the shortcut is Command-Shift-Option-V).

Mar 7, 2022 9:09 AM in response to leroydouglas

But that's my point - I shouldn't have to paste/recopy/repaste using 2 different programs.

Notes is "ok" but I'm not syncing my work computer to anyone else to share Notes, not even my iPhone (they don't pay for it so why should I put work stuff on it). Stickies is still nice because I can color code them how I want, hide and move important ones to a position I'll notice more.

Mar 7, 2022 8:47 AM in response to shilohspider

shilohspider wrote:

I'm taking notes from e-mails and making them as Stickies, like reference cards. But when I copy & paste from an e-mail or webpage into a Stickies window, it gives the text a highlight of white that I cannot remove.
I've seen other people post "oh just paste it into a Word doc, Text Edit, etc then copy/paste it into your Stickies". No, I should be able to copy & paste into Stickies without an extra step in a different application that I may or may not have (or want to pay for like Word). If I wanted to make something in Text Edit, Notes, or Word in the first place, I would have. But I want a Stickie note.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f3880deb-c434-42fa-ac67-d37b115c3665

You can try pasting to a plain.txt file first then copy and paste with the formatting stripped out.

Change preferences in TextEdit on Mac - Apple Support

TextEdit User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

The Notes.app has replaced the Stickies.app for the most part—with the benefit of sync across devices

Notes User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

you can submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

Mar 7, 2022 9:07 AM in response to shilohspider

shilohspider wrote:

And when I convert it to Plain Text, it's removed.

This is a step I should not have to do, period.

Yes plain .txt as I indicated above... the point is you have to strip out the formatting.

You can set the Textedit .app to open in plain txt by default. This is how I always have it set.

It easy to use the key board short cut to change it to rich text on the fly , if needed.

Change preferences in TextEdit on Mac - Apple Support

You can you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Why is there a background on text pasted into Stickies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.