Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer name confusion

All the Preference settings show the proper computer name. However, when I connect with AirDrop, the name that appears is "Test". To make matters worse, I've decided to try the Mail app (rather than Gmail web) and the mail app lists my name as "test".

I've checked everything through the Preference apps (Apple and Mail) and through Terminal. They all show the correct name. This is on Monterey 12.0.1.

How do I get rid of "test"?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 11:46 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 8, 2022 3:15 PM in response to satterle

I don't understand how Mail could be identifying you by that name. Among everything else you tried, did you search the Contacts app for that name? Perhaps you designated a "Test" Contact card as your own? Try its Card menu > Go To My Card and see what comes up. "Test" could conceivably be the entry for your "nickname".

Did you check iCloud for your Apple ID and verify nothing in it might explain that name's appearance?

Lastly, perhaps resetting that Mac's NVRAM might dislodge some recalcitrant setting: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support. I'm out on a limb with that suggestion, but it's harmless enough to try.

If you still don't get anywhere please write back and I'll see if I can come up with more suggestions.

Computer name confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.