Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air "computer name" is different than the one detected during AirDrop

Picked up a MacBook Air a month ago and hated how the home folder was lowercase, but owning many Macs before this, I knew the trick to change it. During the initial setup, I named the first user slammer (not sure why.. lol) and then after the setup finished, created another Admin user named Jake. I then deleted the user slammer. I noticed recently that my phone and other devices are still picking up slammer's macbook air on AirDrop. Not only is this issue with AirDrop, but my Windows PC, via ChromeShare, is also detecting the computer as slammer's macbook air. I have included screenshots of this below to show what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/zCXnx52

Some may ask, why does it matter? Well, it's the same reason that I wanted my home folder to be capitalized. OCD I guess.

Anyway, is there any explanation for this? My computer, as seen in the photos, is named JakesMac. Also, something interesting, is although it shows slammer's macbook air as an option for AirDrop, I cannot actually send anything to it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 12:34 PM

Found a solution to the multiple AirDrop names.

On IPHONE

1. Settings/General/Airdrop/Switch to Receiving Off

then

2. Settings/General/Reset/Reset network settings, the phone will reboot, and you will need to reenter your wifi password/s the the phone comes back up.

3. Settings/General/Airdrop/Switch to Everyone or Contacts Only.

4. Airdrop now only displays 1 MacBook name.

Credit: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airdrop-showing-a-doubled-macbook.2216577/

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 12:34 PM in response to JakeGerard

Found a solution to the multiple AirDrop names.

On IPHONE

1. Settings/General/Airdrop/Switch to Receiving Off

then

2. Settings/General/Reset/Reset network settings, the phone will reboot, and you will need to reenter your wifi password/s the the phone comes back up.

3. Settings/General/Airdrop/Switch to Everyone or Contacts Only.

4. Airdrop now only displays 1 MacBook name.

Credit: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airdrop-showing-a-doubled-macbook.2216577/

Jul 18, 2020 10:55 AM in response to JakeGerard

Hey JakeGerard,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We see that you'd like to change the name to show something else when sharing a file via AirDrop. We can help.

If you are still seeing the previous user name when attempting to connect or share to your Mac, you may want to check the Computer Name and Local Host Name in the Sharing pane to see if it is still set to the previous user. By default, it is configured to the first user set up on the machine. You can find more information in the following article:

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers!

MacBook Air "computer name" is different than the one detected during AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.