Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LPX tempo modifications with MIDI

I have a project where I've imported MIDI drum data and it made the project tempo 160bpm. It plays correctly but the tempo is 2x as fast as it actually is. This discrepancy will cause problems when syncing delays and other effects on other instruments to project tempo

How do I, in a sense, "freeze" the MIDI data and cut the tempo in half to 80bpm so that at 80bpm the MIDI drum data plays correctly as it did at 160bpm? I'm not using Drummer, just MIDI...

Thanks

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 12:17 PM

Hi there, if you're dealing with MIDI it's quite easy to reset your project tempo to 80 bpm:

Step 1: Manually set the project tempo to 80.

Step 2: Select the MIDI region with your drum part, click-hold on the region's bottom-right corner until you see the pointer change into <]> symbol. Then, while still holding the pointer, press "Option" key and after the '<' and '>' in the symbol change into vertical bars, resize the MIDI region exactly in half.

Pronto, this simple manipulation will preserve the drum part's original tempo, which is 80 (as I understand it).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 12:17 PM in response to PurpleWavesOfTheEclipticPlane

Hi there, if you're dealing with MIDI it's quite easy to reset your project tempo to 80 bpm:

Step 1: Manually set the project tempo to 80.

Step 2: Select the MIDI region with your drum part, click-hold on the region's bottom-right corner until you see the pointer change into <]> symbol. Then, while still holding the pointer, press "Option" key and after the '<' and '>' in the symbol change into vertical bars, resize the MIDI region exactly in half.

Pronto, this simple manipulation will preserve the drum part's original tempo, which is 80 (as I understand it).

Mar 9, 2022 12:56 PM in response to PurpleWavesOfTheEclipticPlane

My pleasure! If I remember correctly, this feature has been around since Logic 9 (and maybe even earlier). As for learning, there is a couple of books out there. Check out Apple Pro Training series on Logic by David Nahmani (these books are the bomb!): https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102713 (that's the forum run by their author, btw)

LPX tempo modifications with MIDI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.