Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amount of Used and Available space on Macintosh HD per Finder

I have 4TB of SSD storage in my 2021 Mac Pro. When I click on it in Finder, it says I have used 2.2 TB leaving 1.8 TB available. However, by clicking on the four folders in the "Macintosh HD" in Finder, and adding them up, it adds up to far less (about 1TB). What might account for the difference?Av

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 8:24 AM

Hello Denchamber,

To find the amount of storage you have available, you'd want to follow these instructions:

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac
2.Click Storage, then click Manage.
The categories shown contain the various files on your Mac. (If your Mac has more than one user account, the categories shown are for the user who’s logged in.)
Note: The categories do not correspond to specific folders on your Mac.

This information is found in See used and available storage space on your Mac. We're suggesting this as a resource because it explain how storage is managed and also includes this information " Free storage space is physically open space on a disk. Available storage space includes free storage space and purgeable disk caches (disk space might be both available and used at the same time)." This might explain why you're seeing a difference and answer your question.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 8:24 AM in response to Denchamber

Hello Denchamber,

To find the amount of storage you have available, you'd want to follow these instructions:

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac
2.Click Storage, then click Manage.
The categories shown contain the various files on your Mac. (If your Mac has more than one user account, the categories shown are for the user who’s logged in.)
Note: The categories do not correspond to specific folders on your Mac.

This information is found in See used and available storage space on your Mac. We're suggesting this as a resource because it explain how storage is managed and also includes this information " Free storage space is physically open space on a disk. Available storage space includes free storage space and purgeable disk caches (disk space might be both available and used at the same time)." This might explain why you're seeing a difference and answer your question.

Kind regards.

Amount of Used and Available space on Macintosh HD per Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.