Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Recovery iPad

My Ipad was recently smashed completely, so it can not be turned on just lights up a little when power button is pressed. But I logged into my iCloud on my laptop and lots of my things are missing such as some pictures but majority of my files. Is there any way I can recover this data that is not showing up on my iCloud but was on the ipad?

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 1:44 AM

Your iPad has an encrypted file system - the encryption key required to access any locally stored data being stored within the iPad Secure Enclave (the iPad security chip). Your iPad Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave - releasing the encryption keys to the Operating System when the iPad is unlocked by the User.

Unless you can interact with the iPad screen and successfully enter the iPad Passcode, you cannot unlock the iPad - or the encryption keys that secure your data.

If you have either a recent iCloud or iTunes backup of your iPad, your data (and iPad settings) can all be restored to a replacement device. Otherwise, you are reliant upon any data/files that you have synchronised with iCloud, or have saved elsewhere.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 1:44 AM in response to e-l-i

Your iPad has an encrypted file system - the encryption key required to access any locally stored data being stored within the iPad Secure Enclave (the iPad security chip). Your iPad Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave - releasing the encryption keys to the Operating System when the iPad is unlocked by the User.

Unless you can interact with the iPad screen and successfully enter the iPad Passcode, you cannot unlock the iPad - or the encryption keys that secure your data.

If you have either a recent iCloud or iTunes backup of your iPad, your data (and iPad settings) can all be restored to a replacement device. Otherwise, you are reliant upon any data/files that you have synchronised with iCloud, or have saved elsewhere.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Data Recovery iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.